The Best Seat Competition

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Cloud 9 seats get my vote. 500+ miles on the bike and no
complaints. Just got in from 35+ mile ride and still feel great.
We have had cloud 9 seats for years on our pedal bikes and
everybody loves them. Thanks / Buck

i need a real comfy seat as i got a bony but and any hard seat hurts. Those spring seats dont seem to have any padding so i dont think thats me. My BMX bike has a nice seat and now i got the MB i hardly ride it so i might just switch em around. Save some money haha.

Brendon,

#2 there on ebay-oz, looks like the saddle I got with my spookytooth bike. Looks exactly like it except for the name.

I cant get the seat tight enough to the post -- presumably because of springy flex in the "rail" that forms part of the spring. I hit a bump, and the seat tilts up!

Also, the seat always looks dilapidated-- the rear springs don't remain oriented properly, but lean over to the side! It's not like an elephant sat on that seat -- I'm only 190 lbs!

Maybe it's a different company making that seat, and the quality it better.

It sure is a nice looking seat, though. And it looks great on the bike. Just a couple down sides to that seat you might not expect.

Brenton

The spring seat is actually comfy, except for the annoying problem noted, because the leather conforms to the shape of your butt -- probably even bony ones, and the springs do the work that padding does less well.

Most bicycle seats are padded with some sponge or something, that feels like it would be pretty good when you press your fingers into it, but, of course, it's not your fingers that press down with such little force when you ride. The physics are different.

Sponge compresses, and you have a hard plastic/fiberglass/whatever support structure pressing on your bony butt.

Leather flexes to spread it's support over the contact surface, and the springs provide for even and distributed "give" with the bumps.

With a regular seat? The pressure points take the hit.

I think the sprung seat is the better concept, and a seat material that can conform, like leather, is ideal. You may note that that sprung seat has no "frame" around which the leather is wrapped. It is suspended between the 3 springs...a bit like a hammock.

Back