Yes - I owned a bicycle shop -- way back when

do not think that our bicycle insurance would cover MBs
that's something to think about

also small bicycle shop - will need some extra tools

there is good news
small bicycle shop just a few miles away
just recently got some MB engins in ---------- VERY COOL

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Wouldn't a simple waiver signed by the buyer be good enough? Blue Collar Bikes sells engines, but he also sells complete bikes w/engine installed to supplement his motorcycle business. I betcha he has his MB customers sign a waiver stating that they understand the risks and take full responsibility waiving any rights to sue the seller for any reason.

If a bike shop were to motorize bikes for sale, they would soon become familiar with the installation on specific models and this would reduce installation and adjustment time significantly. (first one takes five hours, subsequent bikes of the same model would only take two or less depending on what mods/grinding/etc)

Plus on the other end of it, unless a shop sold MBs that were 100% street legal, I think that once a few of them hit the road - it would eventually come back to you in some way or another.

Yeah, 100% DOT legal. I know I probably wouldn't want to pay what they'd be charging.
I think this question gets asked thinking about paying $100 each for a pallet of HT engines and slapping them on bikes.

Bikes shops are a business, run by good businesmen if they stay in business. If they thought they could make a killing, they would. I would guess their legal counsel advises against it.

Why would they risk what they have or bother? When I go into my LBSs I suffer sticker shock. $1000 doesn't buy much and they seem to be doing well, as a matter of fact I think they're seeing a fair uptick in business recently. Even craigslist used bike pricing has gotten ridiculous. I can buy a decent used motorcycle for a fraction of the cost of a spiffy new bike shop bicycle.

.....I can buy a decent used motorcycle for a fraction of the cost of a spiffy new bike shop bicycle.

You can buy a decent NEW motorcycle or scooter for less than $1000, that will be faster and safer than a motorized bike. I have a small 110cc Trail Cub MC that will cruise at 50mph, get 80-100mpg and is licensed, insured and legal. No, it ain't no Harley and I wouldn't take it on a freeway, but it is great for running errands around town. Biggest advantage is that I ride WITH traffic, rather than being relegated to the shoulder. I think a lot of MB enthusiasts would embrace small motorcycles if more of them were available here in the USA. Problem is that the small (250cc and under) MC market has been small, with dealers concentrating on the popular large displacement (500cc +) cycles. I don't need a 1200cc Harley to run to the farm market and buy fresh veggies.

One thought on the "waiver" notion; you might get people to sign a waiver. But whether this waiver holds up in a lawsuit or not is another question.

If this society were so lawsuit happy 100 years ago, then Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson (not to mention guys like Henry Ford) would never have been able to go into business.

One thought on the "waiver" notion; you might get people to sign a waiver. But whether this waiver holds up in a lawsuit or not is another question.

If this society were so lawsuit happy 100 years ago, then Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson (not to mention guys like Henry Ford) would never have been able to go into business.

That seems to be the problem with the legal system. A signed, notarized waiver should prevent anyone from suing you, but it might not. Chances are though, if the person suing you gets a lawyer on a contingency basis, he will back off if you send him a copy of the signed waiver, since it won't be "easy money" and the complaint has a good chance of being thrown out in court. I doubt you'd get a lawyer to sue a MB dealer/assembler on a pro-bono basis (free, for the "public good"), and paying a lawyer on an hourly basis would cost the complainant plenty just to get the guy to offer initial counsel and take the case.

I totally agree with you that todays society is too litigious. It is a wonder any progress gets made in any area for fear of being sued by some numbskull who willingly made himself a "Darwin Award" finalist.

There's a new little bike shop that opened here this year. The owner is into electric bikes, recumbents, etc. He's asked me to build some motoredbikes for him to sell, but I would have to take time off from playing with my toys to build some.

hi Alaskavan

maybe the little bike shop would wish to sell the
what seems pretty simple ---- Station MB engine kits

a small bicycle shop down the mountain -- NOW HAS THEM
he just recently got his orders in
sold a couple I think

he has mentioned to me
he has a hard time getting in contact with the company
it seems that I have heard this before

anyway -- once one actually has their hands on a Station
they seem to stay running for A LONG TIME !!!

it's the simple setup that I have started off with here
and I love to

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Back