The bike that MBc built! Mr. Toad

Well I finlaly figured out the uploading process and now get to unviel my bike. This is kind of a long post, but I like to talk (especially about my MBc bike)The bike that MBc built which I am a proud owner of. I got it at the pawn shop for $60, It's an FS Elite Backwoods with a Dax 50cc. After the first 2 weeks of riding the piston somehow seized as some of you may recall. Augi was patient and gracious enough to help me tear it down. It was truly a "blood, sweat, and tears" and mosquito attack ordeal. I'm sure many of you have been broken hearted when your bike broke down.

While waiting for new parts fom Thatsdax (the longest 2 weeks of my life) Duane at Dax is A #1, I've enjoyed doing business with him. I read and read and read, and learned volumes and feel like I know some of you now. I thank all of you for info, input and teaching and some helpful PM's.
While waiting I bought a cool looking new handle bar so I don't have to stay bent over. I bought a mirror, Norman's suggested rear lamp(looks cool and works great)see pic. I also bought the dual brake lever from BikeworldUSA on ebay. Deb is cool and I got my brake in 2 days from New York to Texas.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4128&highlight=dual-pull+brake "it really dressess up the handle bars"

The new brake cable sleeves had to be longer since the handle bars are longer. My neighbors moved out and left a kids bike that had hand brakes on it. The sleeves were just right. "One man's trash...."

Now for the fun part, reassembly. Augi and I set a date and time and he opened up a private chat through http://www.chatzy.com/ We started out with 3 Dog Night "Joy to the World" and ended with "Helter Skelter". For 4 hours he walked me through step by step and quite a bit of silly bantering along the way. Evil Knevil even made a surprise appearance. All to say we took a stressful situation on my part and turned it into a good time fixing my bike. He was able to send links and photos for what I was doing, and I was able to send photos of what I had done or was doing before proceeding. It was totally awesome! I had my 10 year old typing since I had oil and gasket sealer on my hands. My 7 year old used a pencil to hold the piston rod in place as I installed the bearings, wrist pin and keeper clips (took3 tries). My thanks to them too.

This promises to be a useful tool for one on one communication where we could help each other without having to wait for e-mails. It would have taken all night and I would have given up.
Finally Augi gave me to okay to take it for a test run. I peddled 300 yards with nothing. Then I looked down and saw the balck wires had seperated. I plugged them back in, took 3 pedals and of I went. It came alive at 11:00 pm CST. I let out a loud yelp and laughed all the way home. Augi and I celebrated and patted one another on the back. I know so many of you have felt that same feeling when your bike comes to life, I read it every day.

I never knew when I bought this motor, what I would be getting into. I'm having a blast getting to know you all and am proud to be a part of MBc. Thanks for all of ya'll's support, encouragement, patience and teaching and friendship!

We'll have to have a poll for the name. Either Lazarus, since it's a dear friend back from the dead. But I'm kinda hooked on Mr. Toad, named after Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. It was a strange, messed up, trippy ride at Disney World.
"I've got blisters on my fingers!"
Scott

Attachments

• cool light.jpg
    cool light.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 688
  • MBc bike.jpg
    MBc bike.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 816
  • Mr. Toad.jpg
    Mr. Toad.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 750
  • fried piston.jpg
    fried piston.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 641
Last edited by a moderator:
motor mount

I'm instlling a motor on a new bike and built a motor mount. SOmeone requested a photo. I will clean it up.

Attachments

• mountweld.jpg
    mountweld.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 254
But the fool on the hill,
Sees the sun going down.
And the eyes in his head,
See the world spinning around.
Beatles

Attachments

• hilltop.JPG
    hilltop.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Sunset.JPG
    Sunset.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Sunsethill.JPG
    Sunsethill.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Woods.JPG
    Woods.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 219
  • wooedetrail.JPG
    wooedetrail.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 214
It was a beautiful day, 72 degrees. 30 miles lots of friendly people. The cool head wind at 30 mph caused my eyes to water and had streaks running back behind my ears.
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a day that I could give you
Id give to you a day just like today

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear glasses when I ride. Usually my safety glasses, but sunglasses when I want to look cool. My eyes still water with the sunglasses, but they do deflect the bugs.

Cool, glad everthing has worked out for you and that you got the help you needed here after all thats what all this is for! By the way I vote for Lazarus myself but Mr. Toad does have a nice ring to it.

Cool pics Scott. I took a short ride on Saturday morning before I started all my busy errands. I found my old motorcycle, yellow-tinted goggles. They are cheap ones, but they work great.

bumping this because it's just so doggoned cool! retro and norman did something like this recently, too...

anyone wanna start an MBc-Volunteers usergroup? we sure could use some folks who can help the new guy learn to search, post pics, find those important topics right away, etc...and, of course, one on one repair help with the board as a tech reference...it worked for us :)

if you're interested, go into "forum help" and start a topic about mentoring the newbie, i know i'd dig it, i think the new people would appreciate it, too :)

norman's got one going: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8361

Back