The craziness continues

Should have been out riding today, but instead had my nose to the grindstone (literally) in my workshop hacking out my springer front end. The triple tree is finished except for the mounts at the bottom for the rockers. Excuse the rough look. Nothing has been cleaned up yet. As soon as the rocker mounts are welded in I'll concentrate on the push fork and springs. This is a hard project without a milling machine or lathe. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like grinding and filing. I made up the dimensions from one or two starting points, one being the width of the front wheel and the other the current length of the fork tubes. It's hard to get the design right with rudimentary tools and marginal fabrication skills, especially if you are using junk for building materials. For anyone contemplating this project I would recommend using aluminum flatstock for the triple tree. It's so much easier to work with and it's plenty strong enough or they wouldn't use it on motorcycles. I just happened to have flat steel lying around so I used it. Will make the spring mounts adjustable so I can vary the amount of give. I like to watch them work while I'm riding, so will start with a 160 pound pre-load. My design will allow me to swap out springs, so I can ramp up to 250 pounds for a stiffer ride. I can also use spacers if I want to use a wider wheel and tire( which likely won't happen since I'm only pushing 50 CCs so I want to minimize rolling friction). Can't decide if I want to paint the fork tubes flat black like the rest of the hardware, or polish them up and keep them naked. The push fork will be painted flat black for sure. Stay tuned, this is getting interesting now.

Attachments

• Triple Tree.jpg
    Triple Tree.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 43
Just messing with my tripple tree make me really appreciate what you're doing there robe. Polish the forks and paint all the rest of the pieces is my vote.

Just messing with my tripple tree make me really appreciate what you're doing there robe. Polish the forks and paint all the rest of the pieces is my vote.
I just pulled mine out of a box. The only messing I did was to modify the head tube so they would fit.

Wrenchin is building his from scrap.

Spent time in the skunk works this morning fashioning the rockers for my fork tubes. I took a 7/8" bolt and cut the head off with an angle grinder, then drilled and taped the head for 7/8 x 20. The bolt shaft sits about 3 inches up in the fork tube for super strength. Will weld a mount for the disc brake caliper later on. As the photos show, will use a vintage Raleigh fork for my push fork. The dimensions of the pusher are critical because it determines the point for mounting the spring retainer to the top tree. Keep in mind, at this stage things are still very rough.

I've put off removing the suspension fork from the bike so I can still ride while I'm building the new fork. One big questions remains: will the Raleigh steering tube fit in the mountain bike's head tube?

Attachments

• Rockers.jpg
    Rockers.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Rockers2.jpg
    Rockers2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Rockers3.jpg
    Rockers3.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 32
Completed two important steps today. Made mounts for connecting the push fork to the rockers by welding a 7/16 x 20 nut on the inside Second, I mocked up the placement of the springs so I could figure out the correct placement of the top restraint. It's finally starting to look like a springer fork, and I'm starting to wonder what possessed me to take on such a complicated project. Making the bits and bobs from scrap is easy. Figuring the dimensions is tough. There is no margin for error once parts are welded together, so I end up checking and rechecking multiple times on each step, slowing the process. The next steps are critical.

Attachments

• Push fork mount.jpg
    Push fork mount.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Push fork mount 3.jpg
    Push fork mount 3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Push fork mount 2.jpg
    Push fork mount 2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 26
Completed two important steps today. Made mounts for connecting the push fork to the rockers by welding a 7/16 x 20 nut on the inside Second, I mocked up the placement of the springs so I could figure out the correct placement of the top restraint. It's finally starting to look like a springer fork, and I'm starting to wonder what possessed me to take on such a complicated project. Making the bits and bobs from scrap is easy. Figuring the dimensions is tough. There is no margin for error once parts are welded together, so I end up checking and rechecking multiple times on each step, slowing the process. The next steps are critical.
Looking good! I've modified that kickstand you gave me to work with my new bike, thanks!
20240215_214021.jpg

Good work, GW. Have you decided on an engine?
Yeah, it's got my Phantom 85 in it. I still need to finish welding up the stand.

Back