• Register now! It's free and easy.
  • Show your bike to the world, upload a photo today!
  • Hi Guest, did you know we have a dark style? It might be easier on the eyes at night time! Try it out here: Style Chooser

The Czech Republic, EU


New Member
Feb 22, 2016
In our country, as regulated by Decree 341/2002 and a EU directive.
Motored bike (gasoline) have to meet the requirements:
  • max. speed: 25 km/h
  • volume: to 50 ccm
  • max. power: 1kW
  • retain the character of bicycle
But can not call it a motored bike /motorbike / moped! The correct name is "bicycle additionally supplemented with auxiliary small engine". Need not to have a driver's license, insurance, helmet, lights, etc.


Well-Known Member
Mar 23, 2008
Pretty similar to regulations in, perhaps, half of the States of the US. Though 25 kph is not very fast. Mostly our speed limit is 20 miles per hour. Call it 30 kph. That's pretty close.

We tend to be careful about our terminology here. We call them motorized bikes or motor-assisted bicycles. That's mainly to discourage busy-bodies from pointing their fingers at us and hollering, "That's an illegal moped!" It's tedious.

But 'bicycle additionally supplemented with auxiliary small engine' is tedious as well. The EU bureaucrats are sounding something like the Central Committee bureaucrats.

But I guess we can be grateful that they didn't simply outlaw them.