The differences between GRUBEE GT5 & PK80 & ZEDA 80 & engine costs and life spans

Status
Not open for further replies.
few people get more that 5000 miles out of these motors, and metals are so bad that many different small problems will trash the whole motor

few people get more that 5000 miles out of these motors, and metals are so bad that many different small problems will trash the whole motor

Which kind of negates the point of sinking more than $250 into the whole motor since it will have to be replaced.

not really, if you're into racing or some such - I often thought that my drag bike back when I was racing really needed a zipper on the cases to open them more quickly to rebuild maybe twice on one weekend

I also have some customers that ride WOT from the time it starts till they get where they're going and just drop in 2 or 3 new motors a year and enjoy affordable fun - another customer is running a 212 predator and gets LOTS of tickets, also enjoying it.

not really, if you're into racing or some such - I often thought that my drag bike back when I was racing really needed a zipper on the cases to open them more quickly to rebuild maybe twice on one weekend

I also have some customers that ride WOT from the time it starts till they get where they're going and just drop in 2 or 3 new motors a year and enjoy affordable fun - another customer is running a 212 predator and gets LOTS of tickets, also enjoying it.

Eh for me I cant justify spending you know $500 total on the engine and upgrades if I am going to have to do it again in 5,000 miles or less. I'm not racing but I do want a performance engine since my bike is quite heavy and its still not finished. Not to mention me being 6ft 1in weighing in around 200 lbs I could use the extra hp/trq, but for me at this stage in my life being commission I cant justify spending more than $350 or so on the engine and speed parts. But maybe I can justify it considering I do have close to $1,300 in the bike already.

Holy cow... I bought a $200 Grubee with and extra $30 of gaskets and small parts, stuck it on a $50 used bike. modified the dickens out of it (at little cost) and ran it for a summer (at least 1000 miles) at 30-40 mph. How in heck are you dumping $1300 into a motorized bike?

Holy cow... I bought a $200 Grubee with and extra $30 of gaskets and small parts, stuck it on a $50 used bike. modified the dickens out of it (at little cost) and ran it for a summer (at least 1000 miles) at 30-40 mph. How in heck are you dumping $1300 into a motorized bike?
It's like Fat Bastard, dead sexy.

Eh for me I cant justify spending you know $500 total on the engine and upgrades if I am going to have to do it again in 5,000 miles or less. I'm not racing but I do want a performance engine since my bike is quite heavy and its still not finished. Not to mention me being 6ft 1in weighing in around 200 lbs I could use the extra hp/trq, but for me at this stage in my life being commission I cant justify spending more than $350 or so on the engine and speed parts. But maybe I can justify it considering I do have close to $1,300 in the bike already.

Don't worry about the upgrades. It's only the engine, maybe even just the bottom end that has to be replaced at some stage. All the upgraded peripheral components and the nice cylinder head can be kept to use on the next engine. :)

If you don't have a radical top end, and don't ride like a mad man you can swap out the top at around 1000 miles for under 50 bucks and go through several tops before needing a new bottom.

Ha, Gary, awesome job spending that money!
I guess my point is: there is no NEED to spend that much money, and no "justifying" it other than just that you want to.

I weigh 220 lbs (BLUSH) at the moment and a stock engine will pull me around fairly well.
Mind you, I have to pedal a bit on hills and starts, but that helps solve the weight problem... :)
Case stuffing, a larger sprocket and head mods will give some low end torque for those clutch starts and hills.
Porting, pipe and modifying the stock head will give power and speed (more rpm).
A look through the archives will outline details. (Gary is a big contributor)

For those who are new to this sport/hobby, no need to spend big bucks.
And these engines can last many 1000 miles, but not if you mod them for max power and rpm.
I'd suggest a good air filter and good quality oil and daily maintenance are the recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back