The frustrations of the hobby...

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
4:37 AM
I am just gonna complain a bit. I am old... get off my back.

So I got everything I needed to put together the bike I had planned last weekend. I haven't opened any boxes... mistake 1

Got all my tools hauled out of my dinky apartment to my tailgate workbench in a not decent neighborhood, so once I do that, I can't take my eyes off anything. Even a bathroom break requires waiting for my neighbor to come out for a smoke to watch my stuff.

Step 1: Get my wheels in order... unpack everything for wheels. Tires tubes freewheel blah blah...
axle mucked up on my brand new out of the box wheel... needs rethreading... I have an SAE tap and die set but not metric. off the HF for a nice MB ride.

WHAThasHAPPENEDtoTHISthreadFFS.jpg

THEN right when I discovered this, the mailman dropped off my replacement axle I spent forever finding what I thought would be an exact match... and WTH this one is offset... I will make it work somehow. Actually, the wheel this came off of sat the the right a bit due to all the room I needed on the drive side, maybe this can help solve that.

THISjobWOULDbeGREATifITwerentFORtheCUSTOMERS.jpg

It's ok to vent occasionally, it helps things go smoother. Lol so when you go to work on the bike you have relieved your frustrations else where, b4 attempting to work on your bike. Rant away!! 🤣😂

Not sure what that means. I'm not scared of anything except my feet leaving the ground. It's just frustrating having to fix manufacturing / warehousing / shipping shortcuts... And having to order parts hoping "this is the one", then it isn't what you expected.

I understand the frustrations, lol when I built my 1st bike, i had so many parts left over to build another bike. Lmao I must of had a truck load of incompatible parts I had ordered that would not work together unless custom modifications came into play. But I wanted a bike that if something broke I could get parts in town or at least get parts 10years down the road.

Now it looks like more than the axle is damaged, maybe a cracked spoke. This project is off for a while. At least I have parts to fix the axle on the bent axle bike and the bearings on the blown-out bearing bike. But first, I ride my Frankenstein one last time. Like I tell my neighbor when I go out for a ride, If I'm not back in a couple hours, watch the news tonight.

Zak, post wasn't singling you out. That axle sucks, gonna try to fix it?
Nah I screwed it all up man, lmao. I think there was a manufacturing defect in it, idunno. When I chased the threads, when it got to the damage point, they started cutting their own threads and I went with it. Then, after I got past all the damage, it seemed my axle had two different thread runs and the original and the new didn't line up. So, with my bad eyes, I was like, oh wait I am gonna do something totally stupid because I think this one might actually be the right thread... and it totally wasn't. But then I found a crack in the spoke, maybe. Enough damage to make me not trust the integrity of the wheel. I am talking to the dealer about a replacement wheel.

Back