The frustrations of the hobby...

Zak, post wasn't singling you out. That axle sucks, gonna try to fix it?
What kind of puzzle needs to be solved to find the right Drop Forged 4130 cromolly axle that fits this setup ?

Nah I screwed it all up man, lmao. I think there was a manufacturing defect in it, idunno. When I chased the threads, when it got to the damage point, they started cutting their own threads and I went with it. Then, after I got past all the damage, it seemed my axle had two different thread runs and the original and the new didn't line up. So, with my bad eyes, I was like, oh wait I am gonna do something totally stupid because I think this one might actually be the right thread... and it totally wasn't. But then I found a crack in the spoke, maybe. Enough damage to make me not trust the integrity of the wheel. I am talking to the dealer about a replacement wheel.
Yeah I did that once, thought I'd fix damaged threads only to find out it's some oddball metric thread pitch, like 10mmx1.0mm I think.

Yeah I did that once, thought I'd fix damaged threads only to find out it's some oddball metric thread pitch, like 10mmx1.0mm I think.
I think that is exactly it. I went with 10 x 1.25 and it messed up. Then for some fart brain reason, I thought, Oh... duh, it must be 1.5 and have no idea why I thought that. At least I got a metric tap and die set now if I ever need one but not the 10 x 1.0. Maybe I can get a 10 x 1.0 die and see if I can go with it.

I think that is exactly it. I went with 10 x 1.25 and it messed up. Then for some fart brain reason, I thought, Oh... duh, it must be 1.5 and have no idea why I thought that. At least I got a metric tap and die set now if I ever need one but not the 10 x 1.0. Maybe I can get a 10 x 1.0 die and see if I can go with it.
That's what I did, i used a 10x1.25mm & it was wrong, only to find out they make a 10x1.0mm tap & die for specific application specialities. Yeah week later i had another axle & the correct tap & die in case it arises again.

Even though it is frustrating, it is also full of joys.

Just went on a 9.5 mile ride to and down the river road a bit and back. Stopped for some frozen custard type stuff at the local "this is the place to get frozen custard" shop. The bike did well and even let me know it needed a clutch adjustment toward the end.

A simple solution is a metric pitch gauge, it will quickly determine what pitch a fastener is and are not expensive fwiw.

A simple solution is a metric pitch gauge, it will quickly determine what pitch a fastener is and are not expensive fwiw.
Lmao I got a high dollar tap & die set, think I thought about using the pitch gauges it comes with.😂🤣 No like a dummy🤪

This is my answer to fixing lol.

Attachments

• 20220105_220700.jpg
    20220105_220700.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 110
Back