the HEADSMESS thread :o

Can you now work on giving the cylinder the same treatment as well as machining up a lower end, complete with multi plate clutch.

the clutch, go away!

the cylinder...ive though many times about removing the fins between the top one and the ports. weld some 2mm plate wrapped around for a jacket. then remove all fins below the ports altogether... would work, but with my experience of cylinders... heartbreaking when it gets detroyed by a broken ring after 5mins, so ive never done it :)

they could do with slightly wider gears with a slightly steeper helix angle. i hate to think what these gears would sound like if they were straight cut! the width of the gears defeats the purpose of helical gears! all i can think is that its actually to produce thrust on the clutch gear, forcing it against the ring of bearings inside and the rear/inside friction plate. thats just my theory, anyways. the thrust works that way, after all :) crankshaft tends to get pulled OUT, whilst clutch gear tends to get pushed IN.

unfortunately, spiral/helical gears need to have the ends of adjacent teeth overlapping slightly to run quietly. make the helix too steep, they make too much end thrust, but the gear can be quite narrow and still overlap. the other alternative is too widen the gear and retain the shallow helix angle.

cus every time a tooth engages, theres a click. same as when they disengage. this is because all geartrains have "backlash" or clearance between the teeth. as soon as one disengages, the next one jumps ahead to fill the gap, smacks into the tooth its driving, click, click, click... multiply that by 20 every revolution, and it adds up to make an annoying noise! spiral gears overlap, so theres always two teeth engaged at once. the engage/disengage click is much reduced as the backlash is taken up.

just something thats been gnawing at me for a while now ;)

i got impatient, and just stung it.

wired the thing on for a test.

WEEEEE! so i have a dead-end dirt road that i do my tests up.

why is it whenever im walking the dog, testing a bike, or running the RC car/bike, it becomes a freeway where i have to wait five minutes for everyone to bugger off and the dust to settle?

and why do i always pull out in front of a cop? in the dark, no helmet, no lights... hmmmph. on my property. bugger offfs i say :)

anyways, 8000rpm is my designed rpm, and its what im staying with!

the 2 stage does improve low end a bit over how all the 3stage peakers have, plus the extra 1000rpm makes for more speed over the last pipe :)

well, i waited two weeks for some fleabay seller to send me my new video camera. they just refunded me then and said due to quality concerns its unavailable... do you really think im gunna be leaving anything positive after that? hmmmph. it would be here already! gronks.

made one pump. in theory the idea works.

sitting on the "flea"driver (one of those magnetic stirrers in a lab) it works fine.

bolted on the magneto it doesnt.

oh well, so much for a magnetic drive. i was hoping little neo magnets would have enough grip...parently not :(

shame, that was 2 days of drawing and machining wasted :( and a dvd player killed

anyways! still five other designs floating around in me attic... cant be disheartened yet!

oh my! this thread again!

update on developments.

lately ive been a gunner.

gunner do this, gunner do that.

well, today was good.

ive spent the last two weeks playing egyptian followed by playing the rabbit.

moving my cargo container, aka, the workshop!

so, 2.5 tonne of steel, plus my lathe, mill and various bits of junk, so 4 tonne all up. a car jack, some bricks and timber, and viola! i have moved my(other) container! only dropped it twice :giggle: oh my. the first time the noise was horrible and i dread cleaning up the aftermath. mill went over, coolant, tools, and a light fell and smashed... at least it fell away from the house :giggle: but thats singlehandedly, no slaves, and the actual "pushing" was with 4 foot of water pipe. no effort :) it, erm...just got excited and jumped off the supports? literally. wow. dont get in the way of an angry cargo container!

sensible people would remove the tools first or at least lay them on the floor. not I!

the last few inches are gunna be the hardest. i still have to dig a bit of dirt in one corner cus i cant measure, so its gunna have to get jacked up again tomorrow, but hey. its a few spadefuls now, not 3 cubic metres of dirt scraped out whilst lying under a cargo container! that was scary, actually. visions of mortality dancing through my mind...

its within 4 inches of the final drop zone, so i can actually start doing things again! when i get another container ill get the crane in to tweak it for me. floor is level with the concrete i laid early this year! welder/tool trolleys can now be wheeled in and out! the next container will be going across overhead between the two existing so i have a roof with a decent load rating for a hoist. and an upstairs room :) good view up there!

so now i have a list that has been growing...

i need more material. i need more time.

i neeed more money!

oh, one thing. i have a b10hix coming to try in my failure head. see if a cold plug will help it with the thermal runaway. probably not :) one lump of alloy left. ill fin this one horizontally this time.

and here we are!

i seriously hate plunging parting tools into anything! squealing and chattering and jamming and breaking and razor sharps shards of HSS going everywhere....

well, i didnt have any dramas this time! and thats going in 16mm!

so, now i need to go track down a parallel port cable (printer) for my mill so i can do the holes....

PICT0467 (Large).jpgPICT0480 (Large).jpg

meh.

yay. machined successfully :)

PICT0481 (Large).jpgPICT0487 (Large).jpgPICT0490 (Large).jpgPICT0492 (Large).jpg

havent tested, havent measured volume... about 30mm diameter dome. just right for a bP*Hs :)

still gotta tweak my sphere borer to get tighter radii without hitting the chuck... always something.

so, ill try and find the thermocouple for my multimeter and do some temp tests with various plugs tomsa.

compressions way up now. this could be fun :)

still restricted by that material available limitation! looks sort of out of place?

Why the minimal internal volume due to squish band? What is your target peak rpm?

Why the minimalist cooling surface area?

fabian, how many times can i repeat this? im using the pieces of alloy i have handy.

until i buy some 100x100 billet, this is all im making. thats it. i dont have anymore alloy this size left. 3 heads i made. and it looks like i either have to buy billet from america and pay postage, or buy 6.5 metre lengths. which arent cheap. or find something at the scrapyard. its not too common a size...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Alum...1248264900?pt=AU_Supplies&hash=item33836c9ac4

thats 2 heads... though it is overpriced.

or, from US... 3 heads! big ones! 5"x5"x2"! $40 each? before machining?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-5-000-...995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bf1211c3

it would also be 50mm deep, not 30. so double the number of fins. larger fins. that i would consider making if people are interested. i need the volume to be worth while. a shaper would be best for cutting the fins en masse. another tool that would cost money. though they are cheap... :)

for performance? this thing is more a practising of my skills, a revision if you like. im not measuring, im not calculating, im just machining metal to look cool, ok? i have the machines. why not? i finally got the hang of sinking in a parting blade fairly deep. have you made a rotating toolpost for cutting hemispheres while dealing with reverse jaws on the chuck on a lathe that has barely any clearance in the first place?

every project i take on, my skills improve. my techniques get better.

i need the occasional break from everything else too. thats all this is.

anyways... a conservative calc on surface area is putting me around 3/4 of the stock head... not bad considering how small it is.

jaguar. the 48cc cylinder and piston just is not conducive to squish band designs.

heres a photo :) i also took a video of it running, but for some reason it stopped recording after 10 seconds...phooey. ill try again later.

photo.

PICT0497 (Large).jpg

now, that was after todays running, around an hour or so now. interesting clean patch above the exhaust port. doesnt show in this pic.

but jaguar, as you can see, there is a dirty great chamfer on the edge of the cylinder.

that would require machining away to a flat true surface. this requires a jig to hold the cylinder true, as you cant just chuck on the bore on the lower end. its not a true machined surface to reference off. basically i need just a mandrel, slitted so it will expand slightly and grip the bore when a nut at the end is tightened. then i can mount it on centres and machine each cylinder PROPERLY.

as it is i dont have time or material. its on the list.

now, machining the cylinder chamfer away would result in the piston crown standing proud, so...

the cylinder would need recessing. the head would need a spigot to suit the cylinder, lapped so as not to need the gasket. also makes for easier measurements, better heat transfer, better sealing, all the good stuff.

then the head will need to be slightly counter bored to match the piston crown, that has that dirty great chamfer too.

otherwise, the squish band just isnt. you have a toroid shaped ring of fuel mix that doesnt get ignited. a not insignificcant volume, either.

defeats the whole purpose.

i might try a skyhawk piston, the one in mine is domed. but then ive heard the heights are different.

and, with the 1mm head gasket... i think i have a 2mm squish band :) ha ha. squish was not my intention...at this point. i left space for when i do the aforementioned to a cylinder.

its still got more bang for the buck, enough so i swapped to a 36 rear. acceleration is up, much more zippy and responsive to the throttle. sounds like a two stroke should when the throttles blipped.

oh, and it really showed the extended intake to be the wrong length. it would just about stall at 6000. so probably best to start tweaking the piston skirt. still stock inside, havent gone past removing the head...

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
australia, the largest supplier of raw bauxite for making aluminium.

so far... 5083 grade is going to cost me 16 a piece. thats sourced from AU. (cut from a 100mm thick plate!)

5083 grade is apparently not good for use over 65`C!

meaning a silicon grade, like 4XXX or 6XXX is required. maybe.

so far, looks like it has to come from the US. roughly 12 for each piece. but then factor in shipping, and it becomes...wait for it...

only $18.50? wtf? thats actually not bad. bypass ebay and buy it off the vendor himself.

ok.

usa, 6061 grade it is.

and regards my previous post. if anyone is SELLING a "squish band" head, without including a matched cylinder, then its a load of :poop: and you just got ripped.

until i see a cylinder with a square edge, with minimal bevel, if any, then the whole idea of squish bands on these engines is a joke. any of these engines, regardless of capacity. because they all have that bevel from what ive seen!

and that bevel, being isolated from the main charge by the squish band, doesnt light, doesnt burn, doesnt go pop, doesnt make any power.

so if it isnt removed, you might as well just go chase ducks instead...

Last edited:
Back