The Hornet

608_DSC00448_3.jpg

1963 Schwinn Hornet w/ reproduction Whizzer exhaust

Here is my namesake with 80cc motor...

I am also building a stretched frame cruiser with an 80cc motor and a tribute to the 60's drag-racing culture bike with 80cc motor that I hope to complete this summer. Glad to be aboard!

608_DSC00449_3.jpg

Thanks! The bike was disassembled down to the frame and cleaned. I waxed all of the original paint on the frame and fenders and left all of the knicks and dings (patina). All of the important stuff (wheels, bearings, running gear) has been upgraded with reproduction or vintage-looking parts.

That bike is very pleasing to the eye. It looks how to me a motor bike should look. Red tires are always so cool. One question: Can a helmet like that be found at most motorcycle shops? If so, about how much are they? I've been thinking about noggin protection and that's the style I'd like.

Nice clean bike.

The tank looks bigger than the one that comes with the chinese engine.

Whizzer maybe?

The tires add a nice touch also.

I put a small tank behind the seat on mine, but the more I look at the tank in front bikes I just may do the same.

Thanks for posting a nice picture.

Bill Snow

NICE WORK!
I love the whizzer tank...
You've done a great job of blending old with new to create a vintage motorbike look and feel!
Here's my '63 Schwinn Speedster with 80cc and Whizzer tank...
Sorry folks this is the only pic. I have of it currently...
I'll try to get some different ones today showing more details, now that I've added fenders and removed the rear baskets.
166_pnw_MBc_1_2.jpg

The camelback speedster frame lends itself very nicely to this application I think, and the Whizzer tank gives me a million kajillion miles before refueling!
I can't wait to see your new one...
Rif

Back