The Hornet

608_DSC00448_3.jpg

1963 Schwinn Hornet w/ reproduction Whizzer exhaust

i THINK that tank is the full-gallon chinese one...it sure do look great.

Mister R: i got my "shorty" helmet on ebay, about $30 shipped, it's DOT, tho you can buy the cosmetic ones also.

Hey Guys...thank for all of the compliments!

To answer a few questions, the gas tank is the full gallon variety that used to come with the kits before the halfers. It is actually the second generation with the chrome strip around the waist.

The helmet is non-DOT. I believe I got it online for around 17 dollars.

I notice you are in upstate NY-
Here's a couple of pic.s of my ride from S.F.-N.Y.
I thought you might dig- upstate NY was beautiful scenery, unfortunately my frame broke at the state line so I had to enjoy it from the cab of the support truck, but still, I thought it was very similar to where I live; very beautiful...
166_Motorcycle_Museum_Anamosa_IA_1.jpg

166_broken_NY_4_1.jpg

UnclePunk, what a bummer! How could that have happened? Were you able to get it welded back together to continue? Dig your threads in that last pic. As I always say, if you're gonna do something, do it with style.

Unfortunately, the way the frame came apart rendered it unridable, ever again. I did manage to scrounge up a seat post that fit the inner diameter of the tubing on the top tube, and welded it that way for display purposes.
When the frame came apart it actually tore out the bottom of the head tube.
The stresses of the road at those speeds on a nearly 100 year old frame were just too much, BUT that ol' pony got me to New York, even if we didn't ride all the way into NYC.

Here's part of my story if you're interested. I've got techie problems on an antiquated computer that's not mine to mess about with so i'm kinda stuck; therefore I haven't been able to finish the site, but I hope to get back into it soon...
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/rif_addams/home.html
take 'er easy,
Rif

rif, yaknow i luvya, and your cross country story is amazing, but give hornet his thread back :p

My appologies, i didn't mean to step on any toes...
8)
I was just conversating.
Here's the thread being given back.
:D
So hornet, have you started on your next project that you spoke of in the posting?

Rif...don't mention the thread jacking...I don't mind. Where did you cross into New York State? I haven't had a chance to read all of your story yet, but I intend to (it sounds like fun so far...) It's a shame about your frame...

As for my projects:

The stretched cruiser is in the mock up stage right now. The engine is mounted and I figured out the extended chain situation without using a jackshaft. I have all of the parts that I need except for the tank. The exhaust is the last thing that I need to fab before paint (and it has to stop snowing and warm up outside too!)

:p i knew i could raz my buddy rif...but i did have to put a lil reminder in play about OT posting in general...it's all good.

hornet, the "stretch" sounds neato, i'm looking forward to pics 8)

Back