The Jura Big Fifty build, evolution, repair and a-ha moments

Old Busted Hotness

Fun with Photoshop:

withmidtunnelpnut.JPG

Been thinking about a bigger tank, but I think I'm over it. The smallest one I can find is this one from Lowbrow Customs, 1.8 gal mid-tunnel Peanut tank. Between the price and the fact (or opinion) that it looks too big, I'm gonna stick with the China Girl. Too bad, I really like the shape, but it throws all the bike's proportions off.

curtisfox

If you could get it down and forward more it wouldn't be so big looking. But then you would have to cut and weld deeper tunnel, just a thought ............Curt

Old Busted Hotness

Down isn't a problem, they make the same tank with a deep tunnel. But forward is out of the question. The tank mounts to the frame with a tab at the front & rear. Cut off the front tab and it's flopping around (unless I welded some studs on the bottom). And it'd still be too big.

The only thing I don't like about the China Girl is that seam around the middle. Tunnel could be a little deeper, too. For the price of 'em I might just cut one up over the winter, see if I can make it look decent.

curtisfox

Yes my son did that and welded the seam, and put a tunnel in it, it was a slow go as thin metal but got it...........Curt

Old Busted Hotness

More evolution:

DSC00540.JPG

Last time I took a ride I got a racing stripe up the back of my shirt, so I embiggened the rear fender, using the bit that I cut off the front. Since the seam is right under the taillight bracket it doesn't show unless you look for it. Added a bit of DOT tape for a reflector. No stripe after today's ride.

DSC00541.JPG

This is a temporary measure, a bit of safety wire to keep the brake-light noodle from bending. Now the light comes on as soon as I pull the brake lever. Over the winter this will get brazed on and I can clean up the paintwork.

DSC00539.JPG

Also on the last ride, I discovered that I wanted a helmet visor (the helmet is part of the bike, right? Sure it is). So I bought one. Riveted some snaps to the helmet; they don't protrude much into the padding. If I ever end up up needing every mm of the padding, I'm going to the hospital anyway so they might as well stitch up my forehead. And I added some edging. Around the edge. I wear the Red Baron goggles without irony, since they fit over my glasses. No sun on today's ride so the visor didn't get a true test but I had fun anyway, and that's all that counts.

With 175 miles on the bike this year I'm going to put the jinx on it and pronounce it reliable. No breakdowns or failures of any kind since the Grubee went on. Last year I racked up a whopping 1.6 miles (with one transmission failure) because I couldn't trust it, and that's not only no fun but completely pointless. Ever pedal a 90-pound bike with a low seat? It ain't no fun.

Old Busted Hotness

Time to change things up a little:

DSC00559.JPG

Adding a springer fork, with a few changes and tweaks. One crucial tweak is that since the Electra has a really long neck, the geometry is all out of whack. So I'm making the spring rods longer:

DSC00560.JPG

Steel tubing standoffs under the springs bring them up to height. Threaded couplers and some allthread bring the rods up to length. One thing I remember about springers from back in the day is the WHACK sound you get on rebound. So I'm taking a page from the Harley-Davidson playbook and adding rebound springs up top. That's why the rods are so long. I had to open up the ends of the springs with a die grinder to get the couplers in, and tapered the tops of the couplers to smooth things out as they travel.

The springer came from ebay, with no name or packaging, so who knows where it really came from. It's supposed to be chrome-moly but I have doubts. Maybe tis, maybe tisn't.

The tire just clears the fork:

DSC00561.JPG

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, right? 4mm on each side. Since there's a bit of taper in the legs, I made sure the tire won't hit at full travel; coils bind before the tire contacts the fork. I'll probably add a shorty fender.

Old Busted Hotness

So here's something I ain't too happy with:

DSC00562.JPG

Dropout faces the front, and there's really nothing in the way of a positive stop to keep the wheel in place. I suppose the T-shaped opening is meant to hold the axle in place, but it don't. So I improvised:

DSC00563.JPG

Welded some 1/8 flat stock to 3/8 washers to make wheel locks. They fit into the dropout slots and hold the wheel up in that top slot. As long as the nuts are in place (they can back off up to 1/8 inch and still be safe) everything's locked tight. And if the axle is locked down like this, it can't wiggle around and let the tire hit the fork. Hooray safety!

DSC00564.JPG

Like so. I love it when a plan comes together.

Old Busted Hotness

Busy, busy busy...

DSC00571.JPG

My rebound springs arrived and I couldn't wait to try 'em out. Everything's rubber mounted so there's no metal-on-metal contact to make noise. The springs themselves I found on Amazon, had to buy 10 to get two, so I have plenty of spares. The rubber hose inside just keeps them centered.

This thing just glides over bumps now. I think I'm in love.

DSC00572.JPG

Made a new brake arm, a little awkward but it works and it's super strong. The cable wasn't long enough so I picked up a rear brake cable, which is way too long. I'll hack it down once I come up with a barrel nut.

DSC00574.JPG

If this fender mount works in the long term, I'm a genius. If it balls itself up and wrecks me I'm a moron. Time will tell. The mount itself is leftover threaded rod, some nuts and washers around a short length of rubber hose (you can see it thru the hole in the fork). Tighten the nuts, the hose expands and grips the inside of the head tube. The fender itself is 6 inches shorter now, and doesn't vibrate. Rubber mounts dampen any vibration that it does do. I'm pretty confident in it.

Old Busted Hotness

Well, crap.

Today I learned that I really don't like this springer fork. It's wonderful over bumps, but really really floaty feeling when cornering. Does not inspire confidence, and there's no point in building a bike you don't trust. So back to the original fork, Rides like a damn farm wagon (amazing how fast you can get used to the good ride) but corners just like it did before I started monkeying with it.

Bonus: All the pivot points (and their attendant potential for failure) are gone. Strong and simple=trustworthy. I'll put the springer on my pedal bike since I don't ride that fast enough for it to matter.