the MB-Legal Future? Predictions and Wild Guesses.

......my point about the futility of self-regulation becomes more evident as the topic moves on, and imo it WILL bite our MB-butts sooner or later......

Yup - see my "Jimmy's law" example a few posts above.

I just think it is a shame that kids today cannot do the things we did as kids, and it wasn't really all that long ago.

I bought my 11 year old son a 2.5HP mini-bike at Pep Boys. It was in the "bargain bin" with a busted recoil start, so I bought it cheap and we fixed it together. He is allowed to ride it on my property (my neighbor also allows him to ride on his property) but he is forbidden to ride it down the street to his friends house. Not that I'm afraid he'd get hurt because I pound safe cycling into his head, but because I'd probably get locked up for being a "bad parent". Cops can't do anything when he's riding on private property.

yes, that's where we have lost a lot of the old days...we also were provided with plenty of private riding area, and like you, we had parents who still thought things thru :)

and, take heart in yer good-daddyship...but today's driver has to carry the expenditure of extra liabilities because of kids on the road, so it's the pocketbook that will dictate how a lot of our struggle goes.

i saw your "jimmy's law" (a very good expression of the real possibility) and the first thing that popped into my mind was the reverend lovejoy's wife in "the simpsons:"..."won't somebody please think of the children!"

:LOL:

this time we need to think more of the adults' needs. responsible implementation of motoredbiking can relieve so much of the stress we're under right now. the kids will have to find something else to play with.

Last edited:
I think there will be more stringent laws written in every state. In MY opinion, if it cannot pass an EPA standard, send it back to China. Yes, this includes mowers, etc. As gas prices rise even higher, && they will, there will be more riders on the streets. That will mean more who are trying to break land speed records & ride in a reckless manner. Then, laws will come down on us,, & it is our own fault.
I remember when jet-skis first came on the market. Everything was fine with them, & there were no problems. ENTER- fine tuning, bigger carbs, increased HP, LOUD exhausts, racing, jumping over boater's wakes at 50mph, injuries & deaths , & here come the laws ! This WILL be happening to motorbikers, too.

Future of Motored Bikes...

This is an interesting thread. I am sitting in an Internet Cafe on a small Island off the coast of Mexico called Cozumel. It's a cruise stop so lots of Americans are in and out of here. It has one town and you can drive around the whole island in an hour. I have been here about 12 times. They have always had scooters here. 5 years a go though, it was 20 cars to every scooter or motorcycle and the roads were way too crowded. I was taken aback when I find that that ratio is reversing. It is about 5 scooters for every car. Down at the local "Walmart" type superstore, there are little 125CC chinese scooters for 5300 pesos. Thats about 530 dollars. Folks here don't make a lot of money. I am trying to imagine a local here considering 600 bucks for a tiny GEBE engine, a couple of pieces of bent metal, a fan belt and a plastic ring, then going out and paying a hundred bucks more for a bicycle and then figuring out how it goes together when he can spend 500 and get a new scooter that is ready to go. I think that Large was right. The near term future of economic travel is 250CC and below motorcycles until electric cars get their act together. The Mb will only remain a novel idea to most. The ONLY economic advantage I am seeing right now is the lack of need for registration and insurance. Don't get me wrong. I love mine because I can use it to get my heart rate up while I am going somewhere I need to go and still keep the cost of travel way down.

Time will tell if we start seeing these things in mass numbers.

Well, it would seem that at this time - the goverment - local and feds - I would think - will not be making any big decisions in regards to MBs. Most who hold any kind of office - ARE ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT THEIR FUTURE and how what they say or do or do not do - could have costly results in regards to their careers -- with the price of gas - the publicity would not be good - if one was to shoot down MBs at this time - such as strengthening the current laws.. Just from past experience with the speed of changes in goverment -- I wouldn't expect to see any changes in regards to MB laws, added control ect. - real soon -- Happy Riding from Mountainman

This is an interesting thread. I am sitting in an Internet Cafe on a small Island off the coast of Mexico called Cozumel. It's a cruise stop so lots of Americans are in and out of here. It has one town and you can drive around the whole island in an hour. I have been here about 12 times. They have always had scooters here. 5 years a go though, it was 20 cars to every scooter or motorcycle and the roads were way too crowded. I was taken aback when I find that that ratio is reversing. It is about 5 scooters for every car. Down at the local "Walmart" type superstore, there are little 125CC chinese scooters for 5300 pesos. Thats about 530 dollars. Folks here don't make a lot of money. I am trying to imagine a local here considering 600 bucks for a tiny GEBE engine, a couple of pieces of bent metal, a fan belt and a plastic ring, then going out and paying a hundred bucks more for a bicycle and then figuring out how it goes together when he can spend 500 and get a new scooter that is ready to go. I think that Large was right. The near term future of economic travel is 250CC and below motorcycles until electric cars get their act together. The Mb will only remain a novel idea to most. The ONLY economic advantage I am seeing right now is the lack of need for registration and insurance. Don't get me wrong. I love mine because I can use it to get my heart rate up while I am going somewhere I need to go and still keep the cost of travel way down.

Time will tell if we start seeing these things in mass numbers.

I have been to Cozumel many, many times. Great SCUBA there, & nice people. I am going to Isla Mujeres [ small island off the coats of Cancun ]this year, though.
I would think that in that area, 50 -90cc scooters would be a more ideal choice. But, I don't know about Cozumel, but in Mexico mainland, their price of gas is cheaper than U.S.

If you like our hobby please consider!

Interesting posts

"it is much easier to inflence governmental actions before the controls are imposed than after they are codified and enforced."

I couldn't agree more with that statement. Sad reality is that no matter what you do in life, law forces you to conform to the biggest idiot in the crowd. Can't go over 30, but the road was built for 50mph. Can't have more than 2 beers and drive because the dingbat crashed her car. Can't have over 50cc because the dope answered his cell phone and accidently drove his mb through a festival tent!

The best way to attack this Brother's and Sisters is by educating everybody you come in contact with and takes the slightest interest. Tell them what your saving in gas, tell them about this site! Explain your not a kid with a toy(they are to be respected) and that you built it with your own hands!

The only way to win is get people on your side.

How many of you guy's have asked the little old widowed lady down the street if she needs somebody to pick up medicine or supplies. That's what I plan to do once I get the bugs out of this thing! Gas prices are hurting people real bad right now and that little old lady has all day to sit on the phone and stick up for you if you get jammed!

We all know what an uphill battle is. We can win this if we get the public on our side.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for our boy's in F.L. a Hurricane is forming near the Keys.

......Let's keep our fingers crossed for our boy's in F.L. a Hurricane is forming near the Keys.

Not to get off topic, but if you live in FL, you accept hurricanes and tropical storms as a fact of life. Just like if you live in SoCal, you accept earthquakes as a fact of life. Here in NJ, we don't have tropical storms or earthquakes but we do have one of the highest "cost of living" indexes in the USA. (heck, maybe those hurricanes aren't so bad after all!)

Back