the new briggs alum flywheel build

Status
Not open for further replies.
The finished bike. My used 4 speed nexus is not workin right. So had to go to the ole 7 sp freewheel for shifting. The nexus 3 sp is a great internal hub. The gearing is right on.View attachment 81030View attachment 81030
WP_20171031_13_44_26_Pro.jpg
WP_20171031_13_44_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20171031_13_45_57_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Did away with the red sprocket left side drive and converted to a shifter

I'll have update the new look. I had to go with mini apes so my hands wouldn't numb up. Thx. I sure miss my Electra gx100....its the pic with the saddle bags.

I just taught balancing this week, so it may be a good time to share.
Primary balance (or imbalance!) is the rotational balance, such as with a rotating shaft or flywheel or rotor of some kind.
static_imbalance.jpg

Static balance is in a single plane and what we correct when we balance our bicycle wheel:
0152710-0.jpg

Dynamic balance is when the imbalance weighting is offset so that each axle feels a different imbalance. It is possible to have something perfectly static balanced and yet have a dynamic imbalance as you spin it up.
couple_imbalance.jpg

This is why we put balance weights on the inside and the outside of automobile rims when we dynamically balance them.

Finally, the primary (rotational) imbalance force felt on the axle is the out-of-balance weight X distance from axle X the RPM squared.
So as the RPM goes up the imbalance force go up exponentially.
linear-vs-exponential-41-1440x713.png

So a little out of weight on our rim is barely noticeable at 10mph, will be a huge pounding force at 50mph.

So statically balancing your flywheel would be a good thing, because it is narrow dynamic balance is not such a problem. What about the crankshaft? If you check, the crankshaft on any single cylinder engine is hugely out of balance. Why?
single-cylinder-4-stroke-engine-3d-model-stl-sldprt-sldasm-slddrw.jpg

Secondary Balance, that's why.
Secondary Balance is any non-rotation balance in a machine, such as the reciprocating forces of the piston and connecting rod. The engine builders have used the crank imbalance to balance the piston/rod forces.

Bad news is that this relationship is very speed dependent. A single cylinder may be very well balanced at idle, or at speed but not at both unless they employ yet another balance mechanism. Some large single cylinder engines employ a balance shaft or reciprocating balance weight to counter the piston/rod forces.

Balance shafts:
full-4730-7450-timing.jpg

Contra-rotating "syncro" balance weights:
TM-5-4240-501-14P_261_1.jpg

Reciprocating balance weight(Briggs 12hp) :
full-2772-8543-bs_synchrobalance.png

Hope this helps!

I had a 4 cyl. Mitsubishi pick up with those counterweight crank looking things in it. Ran smooth after new timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back