the new guy

ozzmonaut

Local time
7:14 PM
Hello, everyone. I've been experiencing much difficulty traveling through all of this digital "red tape" in order to post this. My name is Eric Childers and while my passion is in vintage bicycles I do tend to tinker with motorizing some of them. My main ride is a JC Higgins bike with a sears kit that was produced in the 60's and 70's for the sole purpose of motorizing a bike. The kit consists of a weedeater motor with bars which mount it securely to the front fork. A lever is used to lower the motor assembly tightly against the front wheel where a friction-drive wheel with a rubber treaded sleeve contacts the tire. You simply ride the bike up to a certain speed, lower the motor, and flip the start switch, and you no longer pedal. The lever can be raised to act as a neutral and I've gotten up to 35-40mph on flat land with it. I'm currently working on a chainsaw/bicycle project and look forward to enjoying much pleasant discussion with everyone. thanks

posting on this forum

Now that I've fulfilled all criteria to be a member of thi forum, why am I not allowed to post replies? Also, since I'm new, if anybody has questions about me just fire them my way.

weedeater motors

Hello, so is your weedeater setup home made or a kit? I have had trouble finding info on these sears kits. Even Sears didn't have any info other than the best spark plug to use. I'd like to find a way to date the engine at least. The parts other than the engine are not numbered. Also, if yours is homemade, what did you use for a drive wheel?

Back