The other side of town

try 1897

My parents were both military ww-2 vets. Dad army tank Corp and mom British ATS anti aircraft battery. They married in Belgium mom a war bride. Dad bought a house on the G I bill. In twinbrook Rockville Md. I was 3rd born in 1951 . Growing up I never realized we were poor. Dad made toys in his small woodshop and we went to granmas house on the Chesapeake bay for vacation every year . Dad most times would drop us off and head back cause he had to work. We went to the drive in movie every now and then. My bikes all were from the dump and scabed together .new tires were rare.and tubes always had many patches. Dad made my high rise handlebars painted silver and found me a banana seat that he recovered with new vinal. He used wood to replace the rubber pedal blocks and hand painted the bike royal blue. A finer bike I have never owned. I road that bike to elementary school. I can see it in my minds eye and hear it squeak now. My dad was a great man. He taught me alot more than school ever did. He never raised a hand to my ma and always opened the car door for her. He taught me how to treat a woman with respect. God bless him he was a cool old dude. I guess the bottom line is money is nice but don't make you wealthy. Tom

try 1897

Thanks HP the part of being old that s really strange is that without me seeing it coming I now sit at the old people table at family gatherings. I'm old and it snuck up on me. But the second childhood thing is real. I'm building a trike bike. I fly kites l like yo yos taught the grandkids to play marbles. I still ride skateboards frisbee just an old kid. I guess that's normal or maybe not. The people my age seem older than me to me . Maybe I need to take something for my brain.maybe sit in a rocker and smoke my favorite pipe. Do they give medical marihuana for oldtimers . Tom

try 1897

As a young teen we used to believe you never trust anyone over 30. Hell I didn't think I'd live to be 30. Then a funny thing happened. Time happened . 30 then 40 then 50 and 60 happened. And even stranger than that the old folks seemed to get smarter as the years went by. It sure does look different looking back. One thing for sure its been a hell of a ride. I'm different from the barefoot guitar playing hippie I was in Georgetown in the late 60's but at the same time I'm still the same. 67 years old and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Nope I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over . Well maybe take a slower lane on the expressway of life. Tom