The Premium of Small Transmissions... At Your Local Junkyard.

Motorized bicycles aren't legal in Iowa at all anyway, from what I can tell. If I am going to make it, I might as well make it how I want it to be...

Brian
I love it, if it's a stupid law I break it, the common sense darkside.

I've also thought of this! I have a small 4 speed tranny to a snapper that I thought of using because it is pretty small. But could it work? Cause you're right, the input is vertical.
But now that there's two thinking the same, I'm with you on this one! What if you used a small vertical shaft motor. Like a 3 or 4hp, just made a frame to fit it. It would definately be one heck of a motorbike.. more of a motorcycle. Once I finish the build I'm on, I'm start fabbing a way to use that tranny. It'd be too cool with a suicide shifter!

This idea has me very interested. It looks far less expensive than running a Briggs/Comet CVT setup.

I have put a 3 speed hub after a motor made 2 speed trans. 3 bike 3 years ago. narley

If you want to put a 3 speed hub with a motor for a trans... will work I have done it works very good.. I fliped the hub over lost middle gear now it is nutal on gear.. So i removed the spoke flange farest from sprokit add sprokit to a short pice of pipe weld then bord it out to fit a round tne hub then I used a seres alan bolt zigzaged a round the pice of pipe to hold in place were the spokes would have been with the pipe you can move it over were you need it to be to the motor.. then the other sproket gos to the wheel... use a throlld shift works best.... nothing like it if you make a trans out of a hub you will love the gears...look at my bikes on narley.com

I don't understand why you lost 2nd gear on the hub.
I use a SA 3 speed with a 212 HF as a jackshaft and the center gear is one to one ratio (in / out).
I do like the arrangement a lot. Click shift is great.

narley... I used a 3 speed hub flip it over welded a sprocket to the spock flange. It was a sturmey-archer hub old style steel, removed one of the spock flanges, the sprocket around the hub goes to the motor. and the drive sprocket of the hub goes to the back wheel. you get 2 of the gears and nutreal. works goods i have three bikes that way....

I fliped the hub over to fit in middle of bike. I used the hub as the jackshaft. you are right the center gear is 1to1 but it is not a gear it is a FREEWHEEL and when you flip a freewheel over it justs spins.. that is what i did to fit hub in the middle of the bike.. i put the motor in the center of the fram with the hub. I use the hub as the jackshaft depinding on how wide the back tire is.. I got motor in line with the trans then to the back wheel.. looks a lot like a motorcycle.....you can see my bikes at narley.com

I am going to try stumey archer 5 speed next i think it will work... highest speeds for down hill only, it will probely bog down other wise....

Back