The Saga of Plain Jane

I shoulda stood in bed...

:censored:Today was one of those days. It started at about 2AM when one of the dogs jumped on the bed with me. Normally, this doesn't bother me but this time her landing spot happened to be my stomach. In the process of evicting said dog after attempting to catch my breath, one of the slats on the bed broke. which started a chain reaction resulting in my sleeping the rest of the night on a mattress on the floor.:sick: Not a restful night.

I knew that I would have to go to the hardware store to get some plywood to fix the bed but decided to see if I'd need anything else for the bike project first. I have the sprocket fastened to the rear wheel stretched the chain across to the motor and around the drive gear to check alignment. As it turns out, with the teeth of the rear sprocket towards the wheel, the chain rubs the tire and I have plenty of clearance between the chain and the frame. I think that I'll have to turn the sprocket over. Oh, joy. I get to fish nuts through the spokes one more time.

While I had the chain on the bike, I marked where I had to break the chain to shorten it to the right length. I then clamped the chain in a vise and used a pin punch to knock the pin out of the link all the while muttering the mantra "Don't cut the chain too short...don't cut the chain too short...don't cut the ...." You can guess where all this is going can't you? Yep. I was off by half a link. I could add another master link and everything would be fine. I then went to the lumber yard to pick up the wood to fix the bed slats and to pick up another master link for the chain. Home Depot, Lowes and several other hardware stores and motorcycle shops resulted in exactly no help. The hardware stores sent me to motorcycle shops. The motorcycle shops sent me to bike shops. The bike shops sent me to hardware stores.:censored: The devil with it. I'll order it on line from one of the group's sponsors and endure the wait.

In the meantime, I did want to sleep tonight (without dogs jumping on my stomach, thank you very much:rolleyes:. I had told the guy at Home Depot to cut the sheet of plywood to the size I needed. I know that the saws at the lumber yard aren't exactly precision instruments but do you think that they could cut things to the nearest inch or so? I had to recut everything when I got home. At least they cut it too big rather than too small.

The bed is back together and the wheel is off the bike so I can flip the rear sprocket tomorrow. I had hoped to get the bike done this weekend but I guess that it was not to be.

Stay tuned for our next riveting episode whenever I get a new chain and some extra master links for it.

I must say you are staying very cool and collected about your build. Power to ya.

I tried searching, to find the exact thread I read looooong time ago, about one of the mid-westerners finding .415 chain at his local farmers co-op/agri store.

Its used on feeder augers, and nearly every town will have a farmers coop or grange store, while bikeshops are far between.

Just a heads up, a phone call monday may fix that "too short" situation.

Thanks Bama. I'll check the feed stores on Monday.

Alaska, I knew that this was going to be a long project (in comparison to those of you who can do one of these installs i a couple of hours) when going in. When dealing with electronics and computers, things just fall into place. In the midst of all of this I upgraded the CPU and memory on one of my computers. Total time: 5 minutes. When dealing with something mechanical, though, I know that I'm only going to be working on it in 1/2 hour spurts because that's the time it takes before something as simple as a nut rolling under a work bench will frustrate me. I call this my sledgehammer threshold because that's the tool I often think of using on some recalcitrant part.

This dates back to when I was a kid playing with Erector sets. Show me the instructions and I would make a real hash of it. Show me a model, and I can duplicate it without any problem. Just the way my brain works (assuming I have one that is:rolleyes:). At any rate, you guys on this forum are my working model. I wouldn't even attempt this without y'all to call on when help is needed. Thanks for that and if you can keep putting up with my stupid questions, I'll get this done one of these days.

extra master links might not be your solution...unless you intend to piece stuff together...i could have read your posts wrong, but i think you may be looking for a half-link?
half-link.jpg

Possible, Augie. I'll drag the bike out and take a picture after flipping the rear sprocket and see what the group thinks. My frustration at the moment is less with the project than it is with the runaround from the various hardware stores. Drive 70 miles; get run around; drive 70 miles home. Lovely way to spend a day:rolleyes:. At least if I ever get the bike running, I'll be able to ride my blues away when that type of thing happens.

BTW, it occured to me that I don't have any idea what the numbers describing the chain mean. The chain I have is 415 and I've also been told that 081 works. One of the stores I visited today had 420 chain but I had no idea whether that would work or not. Can somebody give me a quicky course in chainspeak?

Back