The screw next to the flower nut is turning but it won't come out.

Nahom

Local time
11:05 AM
It's really driving me crazy-

1) why is it doing this -is it rusted inside?
2) what can I do?

It's really driving me crazy-

1) why is it doing this -is it rusted inside?
2) what can I do?
There's a great tool called a thin screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

There's often a second hole, if that one is busted then use the other.

If the screws threads are the only one damaged then some careful prying with a small flathead and using a Phillips to unscrew it at the same time may get it out.

You probably need a new screw in any case.

There's a great tool called a thin screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

There's often a second hole, if that one is busted then use the other.

If the screws threads are the only one damaged then some careful prying with a small flathead and using a Phillips to unscrew it at the same time may get it out.

You probably need a new screw in any case.

The screw is in deep. I can't fit a flathead behind the screwhead to push out towards me while I unscrew with the phillips- there's simply not enough space- because it's screwed in deep.

Sacrifice it, take a drill and a bit bigger than the threads but smaller than the head and drill it out only up to the threaded plate. The head should come off with the drill bit cleanly.

Remove the flower nut and clutch plate and remove the rest of the screw from the assembly.

Replace screw.

Sacrifice it, take a drill and a bit bigger than the threads but smaller than the head and drill it out only up to the threaded plate. The head should come off with the drill bit cleanly.

Remove the flower nut and clutch plate and remove the rest of the screw from the assembly.

Replace screw.

But if I drill in and the head falls off- won't the threaded part be deep inside- I wouldn't be able to get to that with anything like pliers...

It will be in the threaded portion of the plate, if it's just turning in the hole then without the head it will fall right in and out the back of the plate.

A small nail and a light tap will push it out if a little stuck, after you take the plate off the bike of course.

Ah I see - because we're taking the flower nut first off and can the plate out straight after- thanks what a great idea!

It should be made clear that the hole for the screw goes straight through to the back of the plate. If you take the flower nut off the plate simply falls off the engine.

Now just fix it, if it spins too much under a drill bit then wedge a thin pointy knife tip into the head of the screw along the outer edge in the groove it's sitting in. Or a drop of super glue. Just free up the top of it and take the plate off.

Ah I see - because we're taking the flower nut first off and can the plate out straight after- thanks what a great idea!
Ah OK now you see. It should be that easy. I think the screws that hold the magneto on and the cover for the magneto are the same thread.

Check it against the holes in the plate, if so then go hunting for a match with the length you need.

You know what kind of screw it is? i.e what the thread size is? I can't see it because I can't get it out sadly :(

Back