The view from the other side

loquin

Local time
8:10 AM
I ran across this yesterday - It's titled: A Law Officer’s Guide to Bicycle Safety - Reference Guide. Much of the discussion in the document is centered around the uniform traffic code, which most states use as the basis for their traffic statutes.

If nothing else, it gives you insight into what police officers should be thinking and doing...

Note: massbike.org reorganized their site, and the above link became invalid. I found the file again, after some effort, but in case it happens again, as a backup source, I'm posting the pdf file as an attachment below...

Attachments

• ReferenceGuide.pdf
    426.5 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
Good read. I've made a mental note to stay off the sidewalks whenever I can and when I have no choice but to ride on the sidewalk when traffic is heavy,I'll make a mental note to watch out for right turners.

Well, being a Sheriff in Canada, and about to become a bylaw officer on our transit system, I know a fair bit about the laws concerning traffic here in Alberta. I've never been hassled by anyone, but I ride like it's a motorcycle, and I've got the lights and horn attached. Helmets, hand signals, and courtesy help a bunch.
That being said, there will always be the officer who needs a few tickets to help his stats, and you'll be the unlucky target! I'd say if you get one ticket a year, you're still money ahead.

Thanks for the info. I've ridden bikes pretty much my whole life so I have been in the know when it comes to traffic laws for quite some time. So far I've had no issues or close calls with cagers. On the other hand when I'm on my motorcycle it seems to be a whole different story with cagers trying to kill me.

i always think that anyone attempting their car license should have a mandatory year riding a motorcycle first...and if they cant ride something with a clutch...catch the bus. autos are fine...as long as you can prove you can drive manual.

a few years on the ride-on-mower, tractor, paddock-basher, whatever...all goes towards learning practical skills that are unfortunately lacking in any country that allows parents to "train" learner drivers. in germany, i believe the parents have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with driver training. just as well!

yknow, isreal has several thousand LEGALLY BLIND drivers?

that reminds me of that simpsons episode where they make all the lights either yellow or red... :) brilliant idea, really...except some idiot in front will ALWAYS slam their brakes on rather than accelerate...

Back