The Walmart Deathtrap!!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
Been using only a coaster brake for the last 6 months and just blew my rear bearings yesterday. I really need to figure out a way to put better brakes on my bike.
Here is what i did to convert for better brakes...Get rid of the stock spoke rims and convert to mag wheels that will accomodate disk brakes...you will need to make some adaptations if your bike itself does not have mounting brackets built into the frame for such a purpose, same as i did...DAMIEN

Attachments

• Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg
    Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 179
  • Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 183
Eh, here's my view on it.

I started with an MTB bike as my first one, rode the CRAP out of it (worn though 4 sets of rim brakes and 3 sets of tires)

then transitioned to a cruiser-style bike.

Really the main thing wrong with the cruiser bike as discussed before is the rear hub (mainly the bearings being the weakest point) and the fenders.

Personally, I feel if we encourage it they should be fine, there's a million things the could go wrong (from chains snapping to motors exploding) if we try to make it more "safe" its gonna increase cost, effort, and most likely cripple the hobby (i remember when i didn't even have the 95$ to spend on my first kit, i had to borrow the 15$ from my parents lol)

modifications for safety can be made pretty easily,

the rear wheel can be easily replaced with a single-speed with a MTB type hub
fenders take all of 30 minutes and 3$ worth of bolts to reinforce.

U-Brakes are a bolt-on deal and cheap!

lots of ways to do it.

you could also get a multispeed cruiser which has all of this and save some $$$ ;)

Last edited:
D, I really like your front disk idea and the clamp holding the caliper. Have you
ever had problems with the clamp loosening?

On the first picture of the front tire, you're showing an adel clamp holding
the caliper. I'm wondering if the clamp is secure enough under braking not
to become loose and shift around.

On the first picture of the front tire, you're showing an adel clamp holding
the caliper. I'm wondering if the clamp is secure enough under braking not
to become loose and shift around.
That sucker doesn't even budge or wiggle...It came from a nearby Missile proving ground center and adjoining AFB...It is used specifically in F-16 fighters to hold down electrical and hydraulic lines and withstands all the G forces etc. of the F-16...YES...My bike is definitley over thought out and over engineered...lol...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Great! I found a vid which explains adaptors to secure the caliper to a fork
without mounts. I need to get more into this.

Great! I found a vid which explains adaptors to secure the caliper to a fork
without mounts. I need to get more into this

If you like that front adel clamp idea...You will love my front engine mount and rear disk brake adaptor to the frame that my buddy and I hand made/machined etc...Both are made from 7075 T6 Military aircraft grade aluminum...The front engine mount doubles as an anti-vbration device for the exhaust system as it rests gently against the muffler to brace it in place...That was also hand fitted for that in mind...Again, its really over engineered...lol...DAMIEN

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I rode mine 1 year on only a coaster brake. I am still here to tell the tale. My wife's first e bike was a front hub and only coaster for brakes. She rode it for a year like that. Neither hub grenaded bearings but we really didn't go over 20 mph very much. No suspension sucks! Also i disassembled the hubs and cleaned out the Walmart "grease" lol and packed them with as much Lucas red and tacky as i could get in them with a needle on my grease gun. The brakes on both bikes were plenty adequate and could lock up the back tire upon will.

Back