The Walmart Deathtrap!!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
Yup, i grenaded mine after a year and a half on constant hammering (45mph+ regularly)

Main thing was it would loosen up after a month or so of riding, so it would require constant adjustment.

Main problem is that the bearing races are made so cheaply and with thin steel that it no matter what grease you used it would still fail after a while.
Honestly i want to see a sealed bearing conversion kit for a huffy bike, now THAT would be kick ass!

Last edited:
I don't have one, but it seems Grubee makes the best rear wheel for our bikes.
Grubee Inc
Its got 12 gauge spokes, double wall rim, you can directly bolt mount your sprocket, disk brake compatible, and its a freewheel.

I don't have one, but it seems Grubee makes the best rear wheel for our bikes.
Grubee Inc
Its got 12 gauge spokes, double wall rim, you can directly bolt mount your sprocket, disk brake compatible, and its a freewheel.
Worth the price I'm sure but does add significant cost to a Walmart special + Ebay China girl build. I'm thinking about that Grubee wheel now. I might order one!

Worth the price I'm sure but does add significant cost to a Walmart special + Ebay China girl build. I'm thinking about that Grubee wheel now. I might order one!
Regalgse00, a newer member found that wheel and suggested it. I'm glad he did, I wouldn't found that.

I thought it was overpriced at first but didn't realize it came with a double wall rim and top hat type adapter.

That'll be my next wheel if I ever need one.

O<O do you sir need a lesson in shoe braking :p there are no accidents in Distants Shoe Brake Store
20210316_130209.jpg

My life is worth front and rear disc.

I live in the mountains. Drop offs on the side of the road can be 50+ feet. Good brakes is a must on narrow, curvey, long down grades, steep mountian roads.

The technology has advanced so fast since Grubee almost invented
the sport by himself that it's now possible for someone with limited
mechanical skills to take a $100 Walmart cheapy bike and build a 40 mph
vehicle, one I would call a deathtrap, built on a low cost bicycle frame, light
weight wheels, spokes, narrow tires, no shock adsorption, no serious braking
function and cheap hardware. The question is, should this be discouraged
or encouraged? Predictably, it will lead to motorized bicycle
fatalities, and that's not good for the sport, and it's also illegal in every
state. Vehicles like motorcycles and motor scooters that travel at
higher speeds are engineered from the ground up to ride safely.
I love the sport and enjoy building motorized bicycles, but I also
believe in safety. Safety is important: My opinion.
Some people do not have the luxury to exchange $$$ for safety. I can see why they go this route. I have seen a Huffy Beach Cruiser with a 49cc engine that ran smooth and safe.

My current build is a bike from Wal-Mart a Schwinn Sidewinder featuring a triple chainring shift kit. Unfortunately the Livettown, PA post office lost the green 410 chain I ordered so the dealer is sending another one.

Yup, i grenaded mine after a year and a half on constant hammering (45mph+ regularly)

Main thing was it would loosen up after a month or so of riding, so it would require constant adjustment.

Main problem is that the bearing races are made so cheaply and with thin steel that it no matter what grease you used it would still fail after a while.
Honestly i want to see a sealed bearing conversion kit for a huffy bike, now THAT would be kick ass!
Agreed. I love the look of the stock rims, but those bearings!

Back