The Whizzer "Ambassador" is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NEW 1951 Ambassador

Hi Capitol Motorbikes,
I guess it important to note that Whizzer is and will continue to make a motorbike with pedals. The new Ambassador model is in fact an updated version of the 1951 Whizzer motorbike [notice I called it a motorbike]. The 1951 Whizzer Ambassdor, and all the 20" Whizzer Sportsmans produced [thousands], which were certainly part of Whizzer's history, did not have pedals, but were a large part of "what made Whizzer special/different". The vintage 1951 Ambassador was the most expensive model, and along with the Sportsman were the first Whizzers to have a built in alternator, and head light & tail light were standard equipment.

Thanks for the update Quenton. I stand corrected. Knowing that the new Ambassador is actually an updated version of the '51 model makes it much more desirable in my opinion. With or without pedals, I want one of these!:D

Thanks for sharing this news with us.

Steve

it kinda pushes the grey area on leagal issues, is it a moped, motorcycle, what is it? i must have my pedals! heck ya cant get comple kits for your bike from whizzer anymore!

Hi Wavygravy,
I would conclude most states [not all] would consider the new Ambassador a light weight motorcycle or some similar class. As far as legal issues almost everyone I know [in fact everyone] with the legal 49CC 2 stroke motor are pushing the rules by upgrading thier motor with larger kits [70 & 80 CCs]. In my state the "don't ask, don't tell" policy seems to be the norm, as long as the bikes are ridden under the required 25 MPH, they are left alone. I certainly plan on registering & insuring [approx. $50.00] my new ride because I plan to go faster than a moped. I have owned many motorcycles in my life [and have ridden over 180 MPH] but there is a certain thrill in riding below 50 MPH and actually seeing the world go by [it isn't blurred by high speeds].
While it is true that Whizzer discontinued the motor kit, it is still possible to aquire the kit from certain dealers. I have continued to supply kits [and still have one in stock]. All the parts are still available to assemble the kits [at a slightly higher cost], just takes a little extra effort to do so. Although many have complained about Whizzer removing the kit from their price list, [didn't notice as many complaints when the 2 stroke kits were banned by the government] they certainly aren't ringing my phone to buy them. I spent a lot of time and money to help supply kits at the original price for those who planned future projects using the Whizzer motor, and even offered a small supply of "special" proto-type motors, but where are the phone calls? I also know of other Whizzer dealers with the kits in stock if needed [Mike Simpson has kits for use on his special frames with pedals, as well as other dealers]. Hope this information is helpful,
Have fun,
Whizzer OuterBanks,
Quenton

ya cant argue with a good salesman! im all about pedals & a good economical vehicle for the masses & your right that a lot of us push the 50cc envelope but a good ambasador for motoredbikes keeps it under 30 & rotates the pedals once in a while just to keep it low key. that what we do here anyway!

The Ambassador I would feel out of place if I took it on the bike trails or the sidewalks and would also feel out of place slowing down cars behind me. You can drive on the right but there are some roads where cars can't safely pass you. This is why the Ambassador absolutely NEEDS a transmission.
It's closer to a motorcycle just by looking at graucho's pic than a bicycle.
I think your gonna get irate drivers with that thing.
Don't get me wrong,though. I would most definetly own one. But I would never take it on a busy street.
But what's the top speed on that thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's alright; and I do respect the continuation of the ''heritage" of the Whizzer lines.
So how much better and faster is the new engine? Can a person get just the engine w/ starter? ( yeah I know not as a complete kit) but as a 'replacement assembly' or would it have to be ordered by components and assembled by the individual? So what is it that makes it more powerful? And would these components be compatible with our hot rodded NE-5's? Could just those bits and pieces be ordered?

It is faster, lot more power than the stock NE. Similar to one of my modified NE motors. I have motor #WSE0000022 in stock. I have access to a few motors at the moment with out the starters. I can get a few with the starters, but very few. The starter location makes it difficult to use on a standard bicycle frame. The starter is located to the rear and down, the down tube from the set to the pedal crank would interfear. Several differences include an 81 watt alternator, a different head [milled 1.5MM], different intake port manifold, comes with mushroom lifters, copper head gasket, & compression release in the head to mention a few. Yes the parts will fit the NE motor, but other than myself for testing I don't know how soon the parts will be available, soon I hope.
Quenton

I think this is the way Pennsylvania will see the new model.

MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE
DEFINITION: A motorcycle, including a motor scooter, with a motor which produces horsepower not to exceed
5 brake horsepower.
CRITERIA:
1. Horsepower is not more than 5 brake horsepower.
2. Inspection required.
3. Motorcycle plate issued.
4. Annual registration fee is $9.00.
5. Individuals who meet the following criteria are able to choose whether or not to wear a
motorcycle helmet:
The operator or any occupant of a three-wheeled motorcycle equipped with an enclosed
cab.
A person 21 years of age or older who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at
least two years.
A person 21 years of age or older who has completed a motorcycle rider safety course
approved by PENNDOT or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
The passenger of a person who is exempt, if the passenger is 21 years of age or older.
6. Eye protection required.
7. Class M or a Class M with an "8" restriction required on Driver's License. NOTE: An "8"
restriction prohibits the driver from operating a motor-driven cycle 50CC or larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would fall under scooter then.

Definetly I would choose this over a scooter any day.

And if faster than a scooter (seems so after reading :D ) then that's an epic win!

Hi, Just a few answers to earlier questions. The ambassador is an un-restricted Whizzer motor. The 40 MPH speed is most likely considering factors such as weight, hills, & wind [a big factor where I live] and is most likely an average. As many already know simply opening the restrictor I.D. on the NE motor [should not remove the restrictor because it is part of the intake cooling process] usually yeilds speeds in excess of 40 MPH. I can assure you the Ambassador motor is "different" than previous NE motors, and with a little "TLC" might produce some serious power. Although I too would like to see a Whizzer model with "gears" or a CVT, I can tell everyone it is easily possible to ride a Whizzer motor [slightly modified] equiped bike past 60 MPH [I think just a little too fast].
I have ridden several Whizzers with either automatic clutches that shift [Bi-Matic] or the Albion transmission, and I have watched several, less than successful attempts, to mount a CVT to a Whizzer motor. Last year I rode one of Terry McAllister's Whizzers with the Bi-Matic 2 speed clutch [He specializes in rebuilding them] and was really impressed with the way it worked. So far all the attempts to use a CVT on the Whizzer motor only led to serious part failures, I think because the units tried so far are too big and heavy. Maybe someone will try a smaller CVT hooked to a Whizzer motor in the near future, might be interesting.
Have fun,
Quenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back