The Whizzer "Ambassador" is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Quenton, and Every one,
Now that Ambassador has every thing that I wish I had on my new 2008 Whizzer, like Electric Start, that sold me on the spot!! I call Tim, in Bakersfield tomorrow to see now fast he can get me one!!:cool:

Man I am ready to ride that Ambassador, and I am sure Quenton can make it really move out! with his engine work.
Joe Pierson
Kerman Ca.
USA

Hi Everyone,
Because of the cold weather I had to halt my tesing of the new Ambassador at 321 miles. The motor is getting stronger as I add milage. I spent the first 50 miles at 30 MPH and lower [mostly between 20 and 25], changed the oil, checked all the bolts & nuts [opps, lost one], replaced the missing rear fender bolt and used a little loc-tite to avoid future problems. The next 50 miles found me raising the bar slightly and
added most of the miles at speeds ranging from 25 MPH to 30 MPH, with an few short bursts up to 35 MPH. Changed the oil again at 100 miles, checked all the bolts, and checked the head bolt torque settings [easy to do on the Ambassador because of the space around the motor], all was well, so on with the test. Between 100 and 200 miles I spent a lot of time around 35 MPH, with a few runs to 40 MPH.
Changed the oil at 200 miles, checked all the bolts, all OK. 200 to 300 miles found several bursts to 40 MPH, but mostly rode at speeds around 37 MPH. Changed oil again at 300 miles, checked bolts, head
bolt torque settings, and removed front brake caliper for inspection and noticed the front brake cable "rubbing" the fender slightly. After a closer look, I determined that I hadn't completely centered
the front fender during assembly, and re-formed [cool words to replace "pushed" the fender bracket] the front fender brace to allow clearance between the cable & fender. I also added a black plastic tie around the lower fork tube and the cable to pull the cable a little more away from the fender, just to be sure it has more clearance than needed. At 300 miles the motor was showing major increases in power, and I found it necessary to see if it would climb to 45 MPH [it did], and then rode the final 30 miles between 35 and 40 MPH. I found it too cold for any more testing so I did a little research by removing the spark plug [looked slightly black, may need to drop the needle jet], removing the side cover, and looked over the
lifters [mushroom type], and the camshaft, all still looked new. I removed the lifters and drilled the centers deeper to lighten them up. I put everthing back together, and re-set the lifter clearance, my way .006" intake, and .008" exhaust. Next I removed the automatic clutch and noticed approx 70% of the shoes are touching the hub, so I used my Dremel grinder and removed the glazed area on each shoe to
cause even more to contact the hub [approx. 5 minutes invested on clutch work]. So far the bike is better than I expected, being a completely new edition I really though there would be a lot of "teething" issues, but was happy with Whizzer's new ride. The bike is a blast to ride with its lower seat height [5" lower] & longer frame [16.5" longer], and also weighs about 54 lbs more. The larger wheels, tires, and
weight make it ride much smoother. And I will tell everyone, the disc brakes will STOP right now, not later, I mean now!
Will post another update after I put more miles on the Ambassador.
Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
Hi Quenton,
Thank you for the good report! I would be more than happy to put 200 miles on it every day for you! Its nice here, just ship it to me and I will take over for you!! Luckey Guy!!
Joe Pierson

I'm starting to like that Ambassador. With the engineering I could see why they went without the pedals. You really don't need it.

I love that thing. I love the Whizzer history, what a wonderful place in time, I wanna go back. Have fun, Dave
PS: A pic of a 51 Whizzer Ambassador.

Attachments

• 51Ambassador1.jpg
    51Ambassador1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 944
The 1951 Ambassador was my first motor bike in 1958 [13 Yrs old] in Ohio. It was also my second motorbike a few years later [a new 1951 Ambassador titled as a 1960]when I worked one summer for a Whizzer dealer, he paid me with the new Whizzer. And here it is 2008 [50 years later]and I now have my 3rd Ambassador, and they were all black. I now have 400 miles on it and it seems to run better every time I ride it. I don't know why, but I keep trying to apply the rear brake with my right foot [no pedal there to push], instead of the handlebar lever. I will say the 2008 has the best brakes I have ever seen on any Whizzer, and will stop RIGHT NOW! I do remember how poor the vintage 5" rear brake was on both of the earlier Ambassadors, and remember "standing" on the pedal and the bike taking it's time to stop its forward motion. Of course neither of my vintage Ambassadors had a front brake, and it isn't fair to compare it to the new Ambassador's front & rear disc brake system. Did I mention the new Whizzer will stop in a very short distance, if not let me say it again........
I remember looking at a nice Ambassador at the Portland, IN show last year, but for the $7,000.00 asking price I can buy 3 new Ambassadors and have enough left over to put gas in them for a year, but the one at the show was well worth the price.

Have fun,
Quenton

I'm still trying to decide between a Nighthawk or an Ambassador engine. Your reports are really making this engine very tempting; this engine sounds like just the ticket...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back