Theoretically: Long trips on a HT 48cc powered bicycle...?

LewieBike

Local time
1:25 PM
Anyone know of someone who has ridden their HT powered bike a lot further than their immediate city or county.? I've been thinking about a fall tour over the Rockies to the MidWest from my place on the Oregon coast. I'm treating the engine as an assist presently with my single wheel trailer. Going not much faster than 24 mph when cruising. I'm hoping for better fuel mileage at this speed or a little slower and maybe lower the gearing with a 48 T rear wheel sprocket.

Am I nuts?

Anyone know of someone who has ridden their HT powered bike a lot further than their immediate city or county.? I've been thinking about a fall tour over the Rockies to the MidWest from my place on the Oregon coast. I'm treating the engine as an assist presently with my single wheel trailer. Going not much faster than 24 mph when cruising. I'm hoping for better fuel mileage at this speed or a little slower and maybe lower the gearing with a 48 T rear wheel sprocket.

Am I nuts?

I don’t think it’s nuts, personally. Thought’s crossed m’ mind, more’n a few times. I live in central Texas, an’ thought quite a bit ‘bout road-trippin’ back t’ m’ original grounds in north-central Colorado (RMNP). If trips like that are planned/routed well, I don’t see why more folks wouldn’t wanna give it a go. LOTS of variables to consider, but the right constitution (and a healthy dose o’ common sense) should overcome any challenges along the way. I don’t think that endeavor is at all crazy — jus’ gotta cover as many bases as ye can, b’fore strikin’ out. 👍

OK cool.

There's a friend of Augie Dog's (from the defunct Motor Assisted Bicycle forum Augie ran for years after leaving this forum.) that lives North of San Antonio who rode his Tanaka 40cc powered Golden Eagle engined bike from his home to the border of Canada to meet up with his wife and relatives, (he put his bike back on the car's bike rack for the trip home..) Interesting trip that was chronicled and it was done in early summer of 2016.

He rode through Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and finally Minnesota, I think a total of 1900 miles. No problems on the trip and he rough camped at hiker biker campgrounds or stealth camped. His bike averaged about 130 to 150 MPG and every thing was carried on the bike. I'm planning on a single wheel trailer because the bike is already set up for this and my camping gear isn't light weight hiker gear..

From this forum there's BamaBikerGuy who rode his GEBE with a 25cc Redmax weedie engine from Alabama to Colorado and back. I think that was about 2006 or '07. A 25 cc engine! It's cruise speed was about 18~20 mph.

I generally don't pin the throttle on this engine. It's been running so well, I don't want to shorten it's life.

the more low the rpm the longer your motor will last 36t is pretty good for long travels they say you get better gas mileage full throttle bogging in high gear then down shifting and giving it throttle

Read the story of the George Wyman Memorial Project. http://wymanmemorialproject.blogspot.com/p/project-goals.html

You also need a plan to solve every type of possible breakdown or problem. In my opinion a support crew of one with a pickup full of spare parts including an engine would be ideal. Or someone that can express mail to your location anything you might need. The simple stuff like tires tubes, even wheels are easy to get just about anywhere there are people. Walmart and Craigslist fill the bill for repairs to the bicycle, but the motor, if it strands in the middle of nowhere, you will be peddling until you get to the next town and they most likely will not have a motor or parts. But a lawnmower repair shops will have someone that can sometimes get "stuff" fixed.

You might also look for bicycle blogs of people that have ridden your chosen route, they will give you ideas of places to stop, places that are bike friendly etc..

I wish the best of luck.

Well I'm a bike mechanic with 25 years experience, so the bike end of things I can handle with what tools I plan on carrying, The HT 48 cc engine I own is pretty solidly tuned and has a little over 340 miles, although my main concern isn't the cylinder, it's a the small end needle bearings. I've greased both the clutch release works and the output shaft and it's support bearings. The reduction gears need regreasing every 300 miles correct?

If you don't have the obligations to tie you down by all means make this trip. This is the kind of adventure you will remember your whole life. Remember, people bike farther with no engine. The only thing i would be concerned about is how desolate it can get in the West, like not even a tree to pee on for 10s of miles. No cell phone coverage for miles at a time. If you did break down and needed a bearing or a cylinder or piston or new rim or anything you couldn't find in the one horse town you're stuck in i would totally mail you a part you needed man.

My 49cc 7speed beach cruiser has roughly 5,100 miles on it. Typically putting 20 to 40 miles on it everyday when I use it. Remember tires. They only last 300 to 400 miles.
LoL
Any it must be the 2stroke oil I use. Creamy milky white substance coats my petcock with all the humidity in south Florida.

I can get Bell Kevlar folding tires at any Walmart supercenter. I would think that tires would last at least 1000 to 2000 miles. I'm not skidding them, neither am I making jackrabbit starts. I do plan on running Mr. Tuffy tube protectors on the rear wheel.

Back