Things what don't work: silicone 90-deg coupler to reduce exhaust noise

Search First

If you had used the search engine, you would have found a lot on failed and functional exhaust devices that would have save some time etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that's a great idea. Thanks for pointing that out.

(sigh)

Different online communities have different cultures. One of the things I like the least about this one is the tendency to assume that people with an obviously high clue level (ie me) don't know enough to use basic tools like search.

AG

Searching

I did not mean to appear to be rude; if it seemed so, I offer a mea culpa.

At the time, I thought the above comments seemed to be somewhat reflective of threads from past muffler histories.

I'm also sorry that I got irritated. I probably should have stated explicitly in my opening post on this thread that I got the idea for the 90-degree silicone elbow from reading a bunch of older threads regarding exhaust hacks.

Besides, the probability of a thread sounding like a repeat of twenty other threads on the same topic approaches 100% after you've been a member of any online community for any significant length of time. :) I've learned that it's important to keep a couple of things in mind:
* there's value in re-raising a given topic from time to time, as many people don't read past the current page of thread topics (or use search)
* even on topics considered discussed to death, there's value in trying a new approach and/or using a part/product no one has tried before

I actually appreciate responses that say "This exact thing has been tried before, here's the link to the thread" because I might learn something interesting from the person who replies with "and you might try this other thing that *does* work". After all, the point of a community like this is to share knowledge and move forward the state of the art.

-AG

yes - I have been known to do the same

* there's value in re-raising a given topic from time to time, as many people don't read past the current page of thread topics (or use search)

* even on topics considered discussed to death, there's value in trying a new approach and/or using a part/product no one has tried before

I actually appreciate responses that say "This exact thing has been tried before, here's the link to the thread" because I might learn something interesting from the person who replies with "and you might try this other thing that *does* work". After all, the point of a community like this is to share knowledge and move forward the state of the art.
-AG
yes - I have been known to do the same
I just do not use search as much as I should
I also do agree with your comments made AlphaGeek
a re-post of a similar thread -- does no harm

as the young kids say these days -- it's all good -- when we

ride that thing

Repeat Threads

I agree, without reservation. (Hegel rules...thesis, antithesis, and hopefully, synthesis!

Being one of the twice-failed and now as a pendant, as in - something secondary or supplementary being one of the muffler Muppets has left me scarred.

Last edited by a moderator:
loquin,

That's consistent with all the specs I've seen for silicone tubing, of many varieties. There is no silicone tubing available as common stock which can tolerate the high exhaust gas temps (EGT) from these motors, especially the two strokes -- and that goes double for those being run at/near redline for extended periods of time.

Single-cylinder, small-displacement motors have EGTs in the 900-1200F range when running at full speed. Two-strokes running at full speed (i.e. near their RPM limit) for extended periods under load will put out exhaust in the 1100-1200F range.

The absolute best silicone tubing I've found, which is a aramid/silicone composite tubing for race applications, is only good to ~600F.

That said, I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who run their bike motors at part-throttle under light workloads and have had success with using conventional silicone tubing for exhaust ducting. Unfortunately, I have difficulty grasping the concept of cruising at less than WOT :) so my motor tends to probe the upper bounds of the temperature range on every ride. In retrospect I probably should not have been surprised when that silicone elbow melted and fell off. Heh.

-AG

First, I realize this post is for rack mount! Just my 2cents! I stuffed the inside of my ht exaust with steel wool (loosely). At least 30% quieter now. Every little bit helps.

Can you get a die and thread the O.D. of the pipe to useable size thread?
How about a brass compression fitting on the tube 90 degree into a thread fitting?

Last edited:
Mixture has a major impact on exhaust temp. As you lean out, temp increases. I run my 460 on the rich side of normal, get about 500 miles off the three inch piece of silicone connecting my primary and secondary mufflers.

Back