think this frame is strong enough?

pickled

Local time
11:25 AM
I really like this western flyer frame. I'm hoping to pick it up later today, but it looks a little fragile to me, what do you think? will this be ok for my first MB?

I know there are many stronger options, but I really like the lines on this one.

Attachments

• 100_0505.jpg
    100_0505.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 195
While the clearance (I'm guessing you are frame mounting) looks okay, the single speed/coaster brake is a minus (imho), and when you add up all the little things you'll need to bring this up to par (pedals, mirrors, heavy spokes on back, new tires, etc.), maybe you could find something in the $100-150 range which will get you the same look.

For instance, a brand new Schwinn Jaguar was on sale at Target for $129 just last week, and the tires alone are worth $25.

yes I am frame mounting. I keep looking at the Walmart/Target bikes, but to get the old school look I want, I think I'll ending up changing almost as many things. not sure though, tough to decide...

Flyer

The Western Flyers do have some nice lines. Frame should be plenty strong , it's steel. I'd like to see one built up. Lose the seat though. A 2X4 would be more comfortable. Geo

yeah if I manage to get this one (have to wait until monday now) I was planning on replacing pretty much everything except the frame.

Back