Thinking about a Tandem

Donald --- that Walmart "Tandem Bike" looks pretty good for the money
I went to the site --

I need to take my time here -- but - I am interested

looking at the picture
wonder if -- the rear brake would be in the way for a friction set up ?
with my Station friction on my mountain bike -- I have disk brakes
so the mounting was not a problem

interesting --- very interesting

thanks for sharing ----- from - Mountainman

Yeah, the brake could be in the way. Maybe just relocate it or replace it with something that can be mounted below. My friction drive is currently mounted on my Trek, and the bracket just barely cleared the brake.

I needed parts from Staton, so as I placed an order yesterday, I included a 90inch throttle cable. $12.50 invested in the Tandem project so far! Getting closer!

Don

Raleigh makes a new mountain tandem called the companion that retails for $649 and is a pretty decent bike for the price. Wallyworld bikes are horrible. Get a real bike from a shop and get support and service. Bring them your POS Huffy, Next, Vertical, Royce Union, Randor, Kent, Mongoose, or Schwinn (bought at Walmart or Target) for necessary TLC and be prepared to get charged full boat on anything they do for you..

Just an opinion of course.

m haney! i have been in tandem evolution for quite some time , i have a schwinn typhoon tandem , the frame is way strong enough to handle 2 fat old people plus engine kit- gebe subaru robin 35. total of 600 lbs. up to 29 mph no problem it rocks! i must stress do your research on very heavy duty wheels. ill suggest a rear drum brake wheel as well as the front, sturmey archer ect!! & as always pedal assist on your take offs!

yeah, I'm dealing with the wobbley weakness of a POS Huffy with my HT set up. It's a blast, but I know that bike is not long for the world. That Happy engine is gonna buzz right thru the frame I'm sure of it. I got the last bugs worked out of it today, and I'm having a ball with it...for now, but mostly slow and easy.

Anybody have an opinion on the current Schwinn tandem offerings?

Might be good advice to save up for a better frame rather than messing with Wally machines.

my tandem

i said in my earlyier post that mine was a typhoon-not , its a tango tandem.ill get a better pic for ya soon! i cant complain about the frame, stock wheels are billet alum. hubs, sealed berrings , alum rims, 14 gauge spokes, nice but not enough for 2 up motored bikeing, spokes break easy with high speed use. the gebe. subara robin pushes her along just fine!!

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 173
Wavy, is that you lookin' over your left shoulder sportin' the goa-tee? Pretty sporty! Love that tandem! My rig is a friction. I imagine it'll work, but I'll be sure to do the pedals to get started and eeeeeeeease on the gas. I think that's the bike I want. Now I just have to decide which color. I favor the black, but my wife will like the red. So guess what color mine'll be?:rolleyes:

tandemizer!

Wavy, is that you lookin' over your left shoulder sportin' the goa-tee? Pretty sporty! Love that tandem! My rig is a friction. I imagine it'll work, but I'll be sure to do the pedals to get started and eeeeeeeease on the gas. I think that's the bike I want. Now I just have to decide which color. I favor the black, but my wife will like the red. So guess what color mine'll be?:rolleyes:
hey m haney! no thats not me in the pic im the one takeing pic. thats mitch-stude15, thats a shot of the early group friday nite before the rally! mr. haney didnt i see you on green acres? your gonna love the limo as i call em! long wheel base tracks very straight!

Green Acres! I've heard that one my whole life. Why couldn't my name be associated with a cool show, like "Mannix", or "Mr. Ed" for that matter? Nope, I'm made immortal by the hayseed huckster known to all the world as "Mr. Haney". At least my name isn't "Arnold", as in 'Arnold the Pig'!!!!!!!!!!

Back