thinking about motorizing the kulana Moon Dog

honorable mention

Thanks for the honorable mention Troy. The thread has really helped me out a lot. I'm still saving up for my kit and my bike so I have time to really study things good and bad. I should have a really good idea of how things work by the time I have my money saved up.

Tanks,

I used a Thatsdax kit. I'm actually not sure why, but he included the chrome gas tank and the high performance exhaust with the 70 cc kit!? Maybe he was out of the regulars. Either way I was stoked

I used a Thatsdax kit. I'm actually not sure why, but he included the chrome gas tank and the high performance exhaust with the 70 cc kit!? Maybe he was out of the regulars. Either way I was stoked

Cool! Wish that happened all the time :). Good for you. I know you must have been happy about it! I would have been too. When I get ready to buy, I'm going to get the 70cc kit too. Maybe he will be out of the other stuff when I buy mine (right) :). Thanks for the info.

OK I guess I need to put up a pic of my last mod. I added a bag for the tools and a small bottle of oil. I like this bike it runs really good. It has a dax engine. The best engine mod is to lower the intake port, this engine will spin up as fast as you can turn the throttle. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

• PICT0171.jpg
    PICT0171.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 531
OK I guess I need to put up a pic of my last mod. I added a bag for the tools and a small bottle of oil. I like this bike it runs really good. It has a dax engine. The best engine mod is to lower the intake port, this engine will spin up as fast as you can turn the throttle. Have fun, Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for the pic! Nice bike. The tool bag is great. Nice place to carry it. Thanks for saying it's a Dax engine. I try to keep up with people who use the Dax engine and what they think of them because for now that's what I intend to use when I buy my kit.

Can you explain to me about lowering the intake port? As I said earlier, I'm not very mechanical so I don't know what that would mean to the bike motor. I appreciate it.

thanks for the help,

Last edited:
Carrot -- yes, you're absolutely right. In fact my shop hands (my sons, that is) and I were looking at it this morning and decided we definitely needed to take out a couple more links. My tensioner wasn't actually fully raised in that photo, but I did raise it this morning since the chain has loosened up a little, and found that even at max height, it lefts the chain a little loose still.

I also experienced a first flat this morning after only about 35 miles. While running out to Wal-Mart to grab a couple of spares, I found an inner tube product called No Mor Flats, which appears to be an inner tube made of high-density foam rubber. It goes for $19.48. Has anyone used these? I am very tempted to get one for my rear tire as it seems I will otherwise be changing the inner tube on a weekly basis.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3636434

Something else to watch on the Moon Dog is the nut that holds the pedal assembly in place; after about 35 miles, it had loosened considerably.

Also, instead of loctite I am using black silicon windshield sealer to keep my fender hardware and other odd pieces in place. Works great so far. My theory is that it also helps dampen vibration around the nut/bolt.

Nice bike!! - did the rear fender come that size, or did you cut it down? I like it. I wonder how that would look on the orange version?
Interesting to have no front fender and only the rear. First time I have seen that.
I am very curious about the lowered intake port as well. If you could give some more detail on that, it would be appreciated.
Liking the tool bag idea as well. Never hurts to be prepared.

ELCAVO:
Great suggestion on the windshield silicon. I will more than likely use that as well where needed.

I saw the "no more flats" inner tube also. I gave it a squeeze to see what it's resistance would be like, and to me, it seemed too soft to use for a motoredbike. But, I would be very interested to hear from someone who has actually tried it out. It may solve a pretty serious problem w/ these bikes. Hasn't somebody invented a true HD inner tube yet?? Maybe a real bike shop has something besides the Walmart variety?

Thanks,

Troy Fitz.

Well I just took the plunge and ordered one, so I will let everyone know if it was worth the investment. from what little I have read on other bicycle forums, it seems if you install it right and are patient with it settling in overnight, it is a little more sluggish than an air-filled inner tube but otherwise durable.

Thanks Zev0. My own bad experiences with gel-filled tubes had me steering clear of those right off the bat (waste of money from what I've seen). Looks like Marktur had fun mounting his No-Mor Flat. Luckily I have two teenage sons to help me out, both of whom have been just as eager to ride as I have.

(In fact, several neighbors have expressed great interest in having us build one for them. Hmm, a new business in the making?)

Back