thinking about motorizing the kulana Moon Dog

S

Simonator

I been searching for a decent bike to motorize. After doing some research, I think I might buy the moon dog from Wally World. As some of you know, I got hit by a car last week, and it did alot of damage to my Gary Fisher mountain bike. There is too much damage to be worth trying to repair it. Do you have to drill a hole in the frame for the front mount on the kulana moon dog?

My last build was a kmart cruiser with the same frame. I did have to drill a hole, but it's really not a big deal. I think the moon dog is going to be my next bike also.

I just came from Wallyworld and I looked at both the new Skyliner and the Moondog. The Dog looked great, although lacking in front suspension. The one I looked at was orange and black. A black painted HT would look baaad in there.

If a motor will fit in the now smaller diamond, the new Skyliner might even work better than the old one. I don't think a fabricated front mount would be required.

It will look great. There are a couple of frame issues though. Bad welding, curve slightly off for easy mount.Tube is a little thin too. But, It can be done , and yes, it will look great.
Here's mine still under construction.

The engine is jet black, but in the photo it looks grey.

Attachments

• P3150178.JPG
    P3150178.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 2,116
  • P3150179.JPG
    P3150179.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,428
Sorry forgot to answer about drilling the frame. Yes, I had to. There is a "no drill kit" out there though.

Well looks like we have a small group of Moon Dog lovers here. I just bought two last friday that the frame style is a bit different than the one Alan showed us. JUst waiting on motors to get started. I stripped one of all the stickers so they wouldnt be a matched set. Planning on a springer hi rise handlebars and either shortening the rear fender and front or taking them off.

I am glad to see that no one is having any serious problems with the moon dog. it is a cool looking bike. I am thinknig about having it professionally painted black. My brother can do it for free at his job.

At first sight, I thought, that bike would look cool with a motor. And for 100.00 bucks, what do I have to lose ? Just hope this frame holds up for a while.
Can't wait to see your bikes when done.
- Al

Back