Thinner Head Gasket

yuckfoo

Local time
5:57 PM
My squish is terribly high. Rather than sand the head for an eternity I thought I'd sand it for half an eternity and use a thinner head gasket. Is this a good idea? I'm sure I've seen videos where people talk about thinner head gaskets but I don't know where to buy one. None of the descriptions I see mention anything about gasket thickness. Links appreciated!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
My squish is terribly high. Rather than sand the head for an eternity I thought I'd sand it for half an eternity and use a thinner head gasket. Is this a good idea? I'm sure I've seen videos where people talk about thinner head gaskets but I don't know where to buy one. None of the descriptions I see mention anything about gasket thickness. Links appreciated!
Do you have access to a bench top belt sander? Use a new 120 grit belt and it will only take a few minutes.
But always do the final sanding by hand with new 220 on plate glass to ensure a 100% flat surface

Ya notice I said New sand paper because old sand paper has imperfections

The copper gaskets are thinner than the aluminum by half. Plus, they can be reused a time or 2.

240 grit wet-dry paper is what you want. While honing the surfaces make sure to keep turning the part, You don't want to hone one side more than the other. You don't need a mirror surface.

When torquing the head back on, work up to 12 lbs/ft or 144 lbs/in in three or 4 steps. Tighten in an X pattern.

Don't be confused by Wet Dry sand paper. I think it was suggested because it has a cloth back.
Ya don't want to use water when sanding. Ya want to keep the sand paper dry so ya can brush off the aluminum dust.
Besides do ya really want to work with running water and a puddle on your workbench? :LOL: Not me

One more thing, Don't use spray on adhesive to glue the sand paper down
Spray adhesive sprays on uneven and you'll never get a flat surface.

You realize you got 2 threads almost about the same thing?

Last edited:
If ya want to reuse a Copper Gasket. Heat it up with a propane torch or put it on a stove burner until it turns cherry red. "Anneal"
Then quench it in water or let it air cool. It don't matter with 100% copper. It's Annealed
I prefer quenching in water as it removes 75% of the carbon. Clean up gasket with steel wool.

Annealing the Copper makes it soft again

Be careful if using hotter gas such as Map gas It can burn the Copper

Back