This Blowout Wasn't Supposed to Happen!!!

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
9:49 AM
So I got these high-speed 10 spoke mag rims back in early 2019, put a little over 1k miles on them, then they sat for about 18 months. I got them going again on a bike that I bought pre-build but with some need of TLC. Today, I took it out on a 15 total mile ride. My 2nd day of riding this bike and my first time leaving my neighborhood.

Got close to home and I noticed my front wheel was warped! Right away I thought of Riskman's post and said, "son of a..."
I stopped and made sure everything was tight, it was. I spun the wheel and couldn't see anything. Got back on and started going slow and I'll be darned the wheel wasn't warped no more. I went ahead and got it home and parked it, came in and did some stuff. Went to go move my bike and the front wheel was wobbling! Short rest of the story? I blew out my bearings! Bad! Now I have to figure out how to get this outer piece out. Fun times. And now I am out of time. Today is the last day of vacation for me.
MOONlandingWASaHOAX.jpg
NOsleepTILbrooklyn.jpg

This is how it should look...
SILLYrabbitTRIXareFORkids.jpg

So I got these high-speed 10 spoke mag rims back in early 2019, put a little over 1k miles on them, then they sat for about 18 months. I got them going again on a bike that I bought pre-build but with some need of TLC. Today, I took it out on a 15 total mile ride. My 2nd day of riding this bike and my first time leaving my neighborhood.

Got close to home and I noticed my front wheel was warped! Right away I thought of Riskman's post and said, "son of a..."
I stopped and made sure everything was tight, it was. I spun the wheel and couldn't see anything. Got back on and started going slow and I'll be darned the wheel wasn't warped no more. I went ahead and got it home and parked it, came in and did some stuff. Went to go move my bike and the front wheel was wobbling! Short rest of the story? I blew out my bearings! Bad! Now I have to figure out how to get this outer piece out. Fun times. And now I am out of time. Today is the last day of vacation for me.
View attachment 164133View attachment 164134

This is how it should look...
View attachment 164135
Use a long taper punch from the left or right to tap out the opposite side bearing & race. Or if you really wanted to make life real easy for you, since you own 2 sets of mags & are having problems it seems. Buy a blind hole bearing puller!!!

No. This is my front wheel on a different set. You always assume the worst, pa. :cry:
I am actually amazed to see this...The only time ive ever seen spun wheel bearings and/or bent axles, were because of coaster brake rear wheel set ups on the M/Bs for obvious reasons...Im especially amazed because it was the front wheel on this one that you have never reported any damage to as well as the fact that it isnt subjected to any of the torque or weight forces that the rear wheel is subjected to...DAMIEN

I am actually amazed to see this...The only time ive ever seen spun wheel bearings and/or bent axles, were because of coaster brake rear wheel set ups on the M/Bs for obvious reasons...Im especially amazed because it was the front wheel on this one that you have never reported any damage to as well as the fact that it isnt subjected to any of the torque or weight forces that the rear wheel is subjected to...DAMIEN
These sat for a long time and were taken off and put on a lot of different frames. I even used them on my regular bicycles when I needed a quick flat fix. I bet the little nut that holds the bearing in place backed off some over time and lack of support on that side did it in. Lack of PM strikes again!

You should tear the wheels apart more often. Change bearings before they wear out. An if you use coaster brakes on your MB, you should tear them apart ever 250 -500 miles. Replace or clean and regrease. A few bucks for bearing ever six months to a year, saves a lot of damage and hassle. Luck you weren't flying along and had something crazy happen.

AN ALWAYS, ALWAYS HAVE A PREFLIGHT CHECK LIST AND STICK TO IT!!

Just ordered a 4-pack of Timken 6000-ZZ bearings. I paid $0.50 more each to get metal sealed. I hope dipping into my kids' college fund was worth the metal seals.

I do believe that with Timken seals I know for sure I am getting a quality product that will last a good while (with proper maintenance, of course).

Everything I do from now on is going to be slow going.

Know what... I am cancelling that order. The metal seals state the lubricant is "oil" while the rubber seals indicate "grease" --

I bet the metal seals are for internal applications.

Just ordered a 4-pack of Timken 6000-ZZ bearings. I paid $0.50 more each to get metal sealed. I hope dipping into my kids' college fund was worth the metal seals.

I do believe that with Timken seals I know for sure I am getting a quality product that will last a good while (with proper maintenance, of course).

Everything I do from now on is going to be slow going.
Yeah I had to check my hub out cause I was unsure of the bearings in mine. My hub runs a dual row of sealed 5200zz bearings on each side of the hub, for a total of 4 sealed bearings in the hub.

Back