This is how you buy a bicycle!

darwin

Local time
3:55 AM
Notice the Schwinn badge on the front, that ain't no wally world Schwinn. What a beauty on craigs for a $100. Can anyone decipher the model name on the top tube?
00d0d_6Fe0MBcIaAKz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_dN8wApKegyfz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Look at the tag near the crank and see if it says Made In China!

Currently the Schwinn brand is divided into two different markets. Schwinn bicycles are sold at larger retailer stores. These are the mass produced Schwinn bikes that are sold at stores such as; Walmart, K-mart, Sears, Toys R Us, Target, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Dunhams and other larger chain stores. Schwinn bikes typically have a lower price point (some starting at about $100) and are available for the entry level or casual rider.

The second category available under the Schwinn brand name is the "Schwinn Signature Series." Schwinn Signature bikes are only available at independent bike dealers. This is where Country Squirrel Outfitters comes in. Schwinn Signature bikes are one of the bike brands that we offer through CSO. Schwinn Signature bikes are suited more for the experienced rider and have a little higher price point (ranging from about $300 to $1,500).

Walmart (and other mass retailers) that sell Schwinn bikes are not able to sell the Signature Series bikes. Likewise, independent bike dealers that sell Schwinn Signature Series bikes are not able to sell the entry level Schwinn bikes.

What this means is that you will not be able to purchase a Schwinn Signature Series Voyager bike at Target. Likewise, you will not be able to purchase a Schwinn Merge bike at Country Squirrel Outfitters.

So what makes a Schwinn Signature Series bike different than a regular Schwinn? It’s all in the components and materials. Lower end bikes will sometimes be produced using materials such as steel or plastic where Signature Series bikes utilize aluminum or stainless steel.

Signature Series bikes usually have higher quality (lighter weight and more durable) components (shifters, brakes, wheels, tires, cranks, etc.) These differences might not even be noticeable unless you are a gear junkie (like us) and you know the difference between Shimano Alivio shifters and Shimano XTR shifters and know that there is about a $220 price difference between those two shifters.

So how do you know the difference between a Signature Series and a regular Schwinn? Aside from the differences in components, Schwinn Signature Series bikes will be clearly labeled somewhere on the frame.

Any other comments? Also the signature series bikes carry the nostalgic schwinn badge on the steering stem. Lower end bikes use a different badge.

What a tough crowd you guys are. Signature series are just higher end bikes with better parts than the cheaper series bikes. Made in China Mony. I like the dang bike and think it's a good deal and great shape. Pffffffft I'm done here.

Ok, I've learned a few more things about the Schwinn's. I have a few of the signature series and they are made in China.

I would say any bike under $4000 is made in China . That's not to say Chinese bikes are bad , most bikes are made in a handful factories , you have 3000 dollar Cannondales and 99 dollars bikes made in different areas of the same factories. Better QC and machining , materials for Cannondales , obviously. And even if you can afford a U.S. or U.K. , Spanish bike , 90 %the components are made in , you guessed it.

Back