this might be a issue with the gearbox

I had thought the key was sheared before I went to pull a load with my trailer and when I did attempt to pull my load I knew for sure. The creek bottom is actually a bike trail not a muddy ditch. I rarely if ever disengage the engager. When taking off with or without a load I always start with pedal power and apply easy throttle especially with a load. Using the engager creates unnecessary stress on the keys, you know this by the jerk when engaging. I test the limits on these units but not with blind stupidity. The bike that just sheared the key has over 5,000 mi, is a rack mount, pulls 2 types of trailers and, has a side car attachment, this has been my testing bike for the last year. The key was replaced in less than and hour this included filing a new key and the best part was the chain tension-er made for the rack mount. The next day I returned to the scene and pulled over 200lbs of wood home smooth as silk.

Other news I placed a 50th sprocket on my schwinn. Cruising speed is a comfortable 25mph, hills require a bit more effort, starts are much slower but time to work has been dropped by close to 10 min. I will live with this setup till the snow flies, which was yesterday.

Combined mileage on two bikes is a little over 6,500

That confirms what I thought - that eventually the key will shear from the pressure of use. I hour is pretty quick to pull off the sprocket and file a key and reassemble. I have to take off the gearbox to get the gear pullers onto the sprocket and to enable me to tap the sprocket back on with a mallet & wood. That takes a bit of time and the grease gets everywhere. I also loctite the freewheel sprocket flange with the ball race so it doesn't undo over time cos that's what has been happening on a few of my builds.
Glad you enlightened me on what you were up to in the creek bed cos I was wondering about it.

Back