this top end got skills !

Status
Not open for further replies.
well HS then at least I proved it's not a good idea to go wall-less on these engines.
Possibly it could be made to work but I really doubt it. Show me a picture of a stock cylinder without transfer walls.
Another negative I forgot to mention is that it causes the fuel mixture to enter the cylinder at a more vertical angle which means it makes its u turn at top of the head and then down and out the exhaust in less time, reducing the ratio of fuel mixture to exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber.
Even if you show me a picture, big deal. Less than 1% of all cylinders have that feature which means its something way out in left field. Maybe if the vertical transfer area was very large then the contradicting flows could be minimalized for less negative effect but these cylinders have very small transfer areas.

well HS then at least I proved it's not a good idea to go wall-less on these engines.
Possibly it could be made to work but I really doubt it. Show me a picture of a stock cylinder without transfer walls.
Another negative I forgot to mention is that it causes the fuel mixture to enter the cylinder at a more vertical angle which means it makes its u turn at top of the head and then down and out the exhaust in less time, reducing the ratio of fuel mixture to exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber.
Even if you show me a picture, big deal. Less than 1% of all cylinders have that feature which means its something way out in left field. Maybe if the vertical transfer area was very large then the contradicting flows could be minimalized for less negative effect but these cylinders have very small transfer areas.

Actually there are tons of them out there. Mostly small stuff like chainsaws, whipper-snippers and RC engines:
49cc_Cylinder.jpg

chainsaw-cylinder-qiya-052-197.jpg

New-46mm-font-b-Cylinder-b-font-Piston-font-b-Kits-b-font-for-Husqvarna-55.jpg

12-X-CYLINDER-PISTON-KIT-43MM-FITS-ZENOAH-G4500-45CC-CHAINSAW-WHOLESALE-ZYLINDER-KOLBEN-ASSY-W.jpg

7_1373938550057_l.jpg

CY-F230-Cyl-Inside.jpg

img_4302.jpg

s5300375-jpg.58862

cylinder-piston-barrel-kit-fits-husqvarna-350-350e-351-353-346xp-jonsered-2149-2150-cs2150-chainsaw-44mm-replaces-503869971-[2]-622-p.jpg

40mm-Cylinder-Piston-Kit-For-47cc-2-Stroke-Engine-Mini-Quad-ATV-Pocket-Dirt-Bike.jpg

Steve

obviously for simpler manufacture, not for best power.
Show me one from any performace motorcycle. they don't exist.

I already showed you about 5 of them maybe a year ago the first time this discussion came up.

my bike that does 50 mph on flat ground with a 40 tooth and 24 inch wheel has no transfer walls.

thanks for letting me know that page is still there. I'm not completely ashamed of it because it was a stepping stone in my complete understanding of how expansion chambers work.

Her home-made honing set-up isn't much better than just holding the drill.

thanks for letting me know that page is still there. I'm not completely ashamed of it because it was a stepping stone in my complete understanding of how expansion chambers work.

Her home-made honing set-up isn't much better than just holding the drill.
that i agree with. far better to use a drill press with straight line motion ;) i didnt even notice that it was home made! got distracted :)

also interesting regards speeds used to hone..

http://papers.sae.org/280060/

that particular paper doesnt really say much, but there is a definite speed that works best for material removal(remember proper workshops bore undersize and hone to finish size, and its not restricted to just engine cylinders) and either exceeding a certain critical speed, or reducing speed(as well as reciprocations) reduces the metal removal, or conversely, increases the time taken to perform the operation.

this ones better..
http://www.sunnen.com/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=28
never run hones as fast as the drill will run, in other words. faster isnt always better.

I always just use dingleball hones in a drill press. no need for big fancy setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back