this top end got skills !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always just use dingleball hones in a drill press. no need for big fancy setups.

Worst hone you can use leaves a very poor finish! If you look at the finish under a microscope you will see. First of all, yours in not a hone it is a glaze breaker! The machine I have does not only break the glaze put all so sizes any hole from ¼ to 6 inches. So when I put the wrist pin bushing in my rod it will size it. If you take what you have and try to size a cylinder for an oversize piston it would take you a lifetime to do the job! With my machine many be 10 to 20 minutes. Sorry when it comes to honing something you do not have a clue! Your work is only as good as the tools or machines you use.

When I size something I use the gauge on the machine cost about 3 grand or one of these to make sure the job is RIGHT.

Last edited:
a hone isn't meant to be a boring tool though. a 3 stone is just a deglazing tool as well

if I'm trying to bore out a cylinder I'll either chuck it in a lathe if I can or bring it to a machine shop if I can't.

if you take even a thou off with a hone you're using it wrong

a hone isn't meant to be a boring tool though. a 3 stone is just a deglazing tool as well

if I'm trying to bore out a cylinder I'll either chuck it in a lathe if I can or bring it to a machine shop if I can't.

if you take even a thou off with a hone you're using it wrong

Once again you do not have a clue. If you want to go say .010 oversize on a cylinder that has a lot of ware say .005 so you only have .005 to take off. The cylinder does not ware round. You will never be able to get it right with a lath or boring bar but I damn sure can with my hone! To do a cylinder properly you have to hone at least .003 to get down to base metal! Now try this with what you have! If I need to take a lot out of a cylinder I have this. What the hell do you think the size rods on????I have built a many a rod on mine along with MANY other honing jobs. You really need to do some research you do not have a clue! Look on Sunnen web site the best honing machines made. I do not take any of the work I do to ANYONE as I do all my own work. If you would like I will be happy to post more pictures.

Last edited:
hone down 3 thou with an iron cylinder sure, but not with a chrome lined one. there's barely even 3 thou of liner in a china girl motor.

even nikasil is honed to size. admittedly, mostly just for seating the rings, the bore is already sized before the plating is applied.

http://www.electrosil.com.au/news3.htm

(also interesting, the part about removing the coating from port edges, as we do when porting a HT, is the main cause of nikasil/chrome flaking... at least you cant do that with cast iron!)

all places that do (proper) rebores hone to size, using the supplied(by the owner) piston. and they dont use three stone hones, that have no guidance other than the pre-existing bore. they do use the proper, micrometer adjustable hones exactly like that sunnen.

theres even external hones for the outside of things...
s-l300.jpg

(sunnen) really handy for one-off jobs that really require finish grinding where the cost just isnt justified (ie, model machinists, toolmakers)

omg, i just agreed with 45u...now that is unusual!

real hone, doing hydraulic cylinder. honing is not restricted to boring old engines...
hone10.jpg

engine block...

Heller-Production-Honing-Machining-Cntrs-5.jpg

i admit to using a 3 stone hone... standard small engine cylinder hone modified for 100mm stones for doing two smokes without catching ports. i aint got the money or the demand for real ones.

i dont touch those ball hones other than to chuck them in the closest bin.

now THIS is a honing machine!

part-of-the-production-line-at-oldsmobiles-rocket-v8-engine-plant-at-picture-id107692805

hone down 3 thou with an iron cylinder sure, but not with a chrome lined one. there's barely even 3 thou of liner in a china girl motor.

I do not hone any plated cylinder! Good to see you got something right. Bicycle motors are for fun I work on other engines for others and my self. Been using my honing machine now for well over 30 years. How many honing machines have you run?

How to you get one of those to work on a 2 stroke?
Don't the balls hammer off the ports?

Steve

Very true and good point! If I do a cast bore 2 cycle my hone machine does not have a problem with it.
Thanks Steve.

How to you get one of those to work on a 2 stroke?
Don't the balls hammer off the ports?

Steve

3 stone hones do it worse. ball hones are only slightly oversize for a given cylinder diameter, so there's not much of any spring pressure, and if you keep the RPMs low like you're supposed to they just glide over the port edges. 3 stone hones are much nastier on a 2 stroke than ball hones in my experience, especially with the badly out of round bores you find in china girls.

yeah a sunnen is better, but is it $3000 better? my wallet says no.

what would be nice is a self centering 3 stone hone with cylindrical stones. I would think that a setup like that would be ideal for a budget home shop doing 2 strokes.

I just honed my son's Banshee with one of these:
61ughCx1yLL._SX522_.jpg

Recommend it for a home workshop, but it takes a fair amount of knowledge and experience to make it work right.
I use the zinc wipers instead of the felts, they don't tend to grab the ports.
With coarse stones you can even "bore" up to the next oversize.
No measuring tools needed really. You can very accurately size the bore by fit when you have the experience.
A dial vernier, magnetic base indicator and solder will do an amazing amount of set up work.
Put the indicator on the piston skirt and wiggle the piston in the bore. You now know the clearance.

The thing I want to know, WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HONES IN A HOT CYLINDER SWAP THREAD?

ADMIN: Get control of us. Knock us ta he11 back on thread.
Konix has a brilliant idea and I want to hear more about it.

Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back