this top end got skills !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just honed my son's Banshee with one of these:
61ughCx1yLL._SX522_.jpg

Recommend it for a home workshop, but it takes a fair amount of knowledge and experience to make it work right.

The thing I want to know, WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HONES IN A HOT CYLINDER SWAP THREAD?

ADMIN: Get control of us. Knock us ta he11 back on thread.
Konix has a brilliant idea and I want to hear more about it.

Steve

Looks like a Kwikway I would never use it on my stuff but I do have a Sunnen hone like that I quite using when I got my Sunnen machine. Butre call kwikway and as them if you can over size a cylinder with this hone and wide up with a good job. Sorry for got I am talking about kwikway. Call Sunnen! These type hones are made to remove material not just deglaze!

Last edited:
from http://www.enginehones.com/technical.html

Honing Tools For Two Stroke Engines
A common question we always get is, "Can the Flex-Hone be used in 2-stroke engines?" We recently discovered a nice Scooter forum that discussed the different options available for cylinder hones. http://www.scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580&highlight=cylinder+porting . The discussion talks about Flex-Hones vs. the brake caliper hones (the ones with the 3 spring fingers) and the benefits to both. The conclusion, the easy-to-use "ball hone is friendly on the port edges of [their] two stroke engines."

It is important to understand why each tool is used and the benefits and drawbacks to using either of them. The 3 finger brake caliper type hone is meant for material removal. If your bore is out of round or has other geometry issues like taper, poor cylindricity or excessive ovality, material must be removed to bring the cylinder back into specification. Great care must be taken when using the 3 spring tool because it will alter the dimensions of your cylinder. Using this type of tool is as much art form as science and a cylinder can easily be ruined if it is not used properly. Ports in two cycle engines present an additional challenge as the rigid edges of the honing stones tend to catch on the port edges causing damage to both the ports and the honing tool. The three finger hone can be used for deglazing but requires a skilled touch as not to damage the cylinder. The Flex-Hone tool, by contrast is not a material removal tool. Because it is self centering it follows the existing bore geometry. This is great if you are trying to freshen a cylinder prior to re-ringing but it will not correct out of roundness or remove taper from a cylinder. The tool is only slightly oversized for any given cylinder diameter and will not damage ports or cause excessive radius at the port edges nor does floating on and off the port edges damage the tool.

3 stone hones do it worse. ball hones are only slightly oversize for a given cylinder diameter, so there's not much of any spring pressure, and if you keep the RPMs low like you're supposed to they just glide over the port edges. 3 stone hones are much nastier on a 2 stroke than ball hones in my experience, especially with the badly out of round bores you find in china girls.

yeah a sunnen is better, but is it $3000 better? my wallet says no.

what would be nice is a self centering 3 stone hone with cylindrical stones. I would think that a setup like that would be ideal for a budget home shop doing 2 strokes.

Try to buy a Sunnen honing machine new for 3 grand good luck. Why would I not use my honing machine when I have it and it has paid for it self and if I never use it again I have lost nothing like all my equipment!

Once again with what you are talking about is just a glaze breaker not a real hone it is not for making anything bigger just to deglaze something. Yes it many take out some small spots. I guess I need to tank some pictures of my manderales as they are not like anything that has been posted here. What I use is what they hone connecting rods with and you can not mess up on them. Try that with anything other then a honing machine and you are backing up. I have done MANY sets of rods and have some to do now. Old machine is still making me money!

Mo for those that work on there own stuff I do not recommend buying a honing machine you are better off paying someone like I to do it for you. Use what you want on your but on mine and my customers I only use the best!

again, making it bigger is boring, not honing. if I'm trying to make the hole bigger I don't grab a hone of any sort.

I notice the link you posted sell ball hones so I am sure they are not going to say anything bad about them.

The only hones made for removal of material are the hones on a machine or like the one Steve posted. Yes the hones will remove material but so will sand paper and to remove much material it will take you a LONG TIME with a much poorer finish.

I recommend you do some GOOD research as I am not longer going to try and teach you as I have raised all my youngins and do not plan on raising any more. You never did answer my question about how many honing machine you have run???????

Last edited:
again, making it bigger is boring, not honing. if I'm trying to make the hole bigger I don't grab a hone of any sort.

Plannly show your experience with boring cylinders as you do not have a clue. Call Sunnen and then take your foot out of your mouth! How many cylinders have you bored I have done hundreds good chance thousands and still doing them and many of the cylinders I have done have over 100 grand on them on air cooled motors that are still running fine. How many do you have you have done with is mileage on them???? I dare say NONE as I dare say you have never bored a cylinder. I do not need to read the link you posted as the are full of it as well. You must be one of those that if it is on the net it has to be true. As I said use what you want but on mine and customers I use nothing but the best. This could be one of the reasons even thaw I am retired I have so many calling me to work on their stuff even now. O YES they tired all the other place in town and is why they are calling ME! The whole reason when I was young I stated working on my own stuff is the poor work I got from many shops. NO I am not the only one that can work on them but good ones are far and few inbetween.

Last edited:
It is a picture off the web Jeff. The one I have is over 40 years old. I don't know the make. I have 2 different sizes and need to pick up a smaller one yet. My small one is barely able to do 64mm.

I used Sunnen equipment when I worked at the trade. Cylinders are nothing, connecting rod big ends are the test of a machinist's skill. I do love working with good tools but I've learned much from tradesmen who were not limited by their tools. Amazing guys who taught me lots. I've rebuilt (replaced all bearings, seals and sometimes gears) differentials and gearboxes in remote locations using hammer and punch, no press available. Bored close tolerance large diameter holes with a drill press. Machined parts (hydraulic spool, hardened lock pin, etc) on a drill press. Made crankshafts and camshafts in a standard shop. I was fascinated by Acadia Make-and-Break Gas Engines that could have rod clearance fixed at sea with a wrench and a knife. I'm going to help bring a ship home next month, out in the Atlantic I will not have a Sunnen hone.

Steve

It is a picture off the web Jeff. The one I have is over 40 years old. I don't know the make. I have 2 different sizes and need to pick up a smaller one yet. My small one is barely able to do 64mm.

I used Sunnen equipment when I worked at the trade. Cylinders are nothing, connecting rod big ends are the test of a machinist's skill. I do love working with good tools but I've learned much from tradesmen who were not limited by their tools. Amazing guys who taught me lots. I've rebuilt (replaced all bearings, seals and sometimes gears) differentials and gearboxes in remote locations using hammer and punch, no press available. Bored close tolerance large diameter holes with a drill press. Machined parts (hydraulic spool, hardened lock pin, etc) on a drill press. Made crankshafts and camshafts in a standard shop. I was fascinated by Acadia Make-and-Break Gas Engines that could have rod clearance fixed at sea with a wrench and a knife. I'm going to help bring a ship home next month, out in the Atlantic I will not have a Sunnen hone.

Steve

Steve never been to motorcycle school but had many that worked for me that have and after working for me a while they would say hell you have taught me more then school did and that is not in any manual how did you learn that. I tell them from YEARS of doing it. Now one showed me how to run machines and this was before the internet so I read and taught my self. Steve I still do what you use to do and have been for more years. Good chnace longer the those that have been alive.

I notice the link you posted sell ball hones so I am sure they are not going to say anything bad about them.

The only hones made for removal of material are the hones on a machine or like the one Steve posted. Yes the hones will remove material but so will sand paper and to remove much material it will take you a LONG TIME with a much poorer finish.

I recommend you do some GOOD research as I am not longer going to try and teach you as I have raised all my youngins and do not plan on raising any more. You never did answer my question about how many honing machine you have run???????
they sell all kinds of hones, not just ball hones.

I didn't see your question before, the answer is 2. one in school and one at the machine shop I used to work at. couldn't tell you how many times I ran them

regardless, it's simply asinine to believe that a home shop is going to have that kind of equipment, and a ball hone is the best tool reasonably available to the home mechanic.

Last edited:
they sell all kinds of hones, not just ball hones.

I didn't see your question before, the answer is 2. one in school and one at the machine shop I used to work at. couldn't tell you how many times I ran them

regardless, it's simply asinine to believe that a home shop is going to have that kind of equipment, and a ball hone is the best tool reasonably available to the home mechanic.

What ever as you still do not have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back