Though there are risks, I'm happy about rising gas prices.

I'm trying to look at the gas price thing as a positive.
Many energy alternatives have not been developed because the processes were expensive compared to gasoline. Now that gasoline is catching up, alternative fuels are becoming more commercially attractive.
Once big industrial concerns smell profits in alternative fuels, research and developement of these processes will really take off and competition will force them to develop these resources more and more economically.
We will one day return to cheap, efficient energy using technologies which, until now have not been profitable to develop. That's the beauty of capitalism.
The best scientific and engineering minds are employed by industry and not academia. (Geeks like money too!)
Even the oil companies will be forced to put their considerable resources behind these new developments. Money drives technological development much more than imagination or inspiration alone.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could tell the OPEC nations they can kep their oil and eat sand?

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
One is always happier volunteering for change instead of having it forced upon them.

Many egomaniacs would hate a motored bike b/c of grease on their pants leg or simply losing the ability to look over all the other traffic on the road. So if they had to ride one they'd blame Al Gore for trying to run their lives or whatever... instead of making the conscious choice not to let "the man" from either political party... lets face it... they're all crooks... leave them in the dust.

Or perhaps they think Motoredbikes belong to Bangladesh peasants of the rickshaw class...

When we have a gas embargo like we did in the 70's,I'm gonna buy 10 gallons of gas. That's good for 1,600 miles on Cronus. Then I'm gonna drive by all the many gas lines and smile.
It's gonna be glorious.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

I actually remember "borrowing" my moms car (not licensed yet) and sitting in a gas line for 3 hours with the hottie of the school at the time...thanking God for long gas lines, and then thanking him again for allowing me to get home before my stepfather arrived to find the car missing! OMG! If my kid tries to pull a stunt like that I'll....

Oh no! I've turned into my parents!!!! Helllllllp!

Sorry about the previous political post, glad you deleted it Lou. That's why I shouldn't watch the news. I'm pretty sure we all feel the same way, I just vocalized it.

cars/trucks would become valuable assets...as gasoline storage units, maybe living quarters too if things keep going the way they are ;)

let's take a wild guess that companies like walbro are all over R & D...carbureting for future alternate-fuels...if they aren't yet, they'll have to soon :)

very good topic :cool:

To SirJakesus,
Your description of our society matches pretty well with some of my thinking. It does seem unhealthy doesn't it? And what worries me terribly is the lack of concern about it. Very few people seem to feel that there is anything wrong with the notion that one is not respectable unless he is up to his eyeballs in debt.
Thanks. It's good to know that at least someone else is concerned about it.

To Large Filipino; now THAT'S a positive spin!

To srdavo; "when life hands you lemons, go to bluegoatwoods house" Thanks, and we do have a reasonably fun household. Though we don't party as much as we used to. But you ought to check out my father-in-laws house. Old Welshman (grew up there) who is always looking for an excuse for a party. He's aging so these partys are not as common as they used to be in the old days. But still a fun place and a very bad influence on those who want to avoid hang-overs, you can take my word for it.

I did not mean to offend anyone with my post. If i did i sincerely apologize.It wont happen again

Way to go!

Way to go BlueGoat. Nice thoughts you have put down. I find myself feeling much the same way as you. There is a silent revolution going on because of gas prices. Just yesterday I was counting all the extra motorcycles on the road and there were a LOT more than usual. The Harley shop here says that its business is booming and so are the bicycle shops.

I too am hoping that the cost of gas will bring a new positive thinking to alternative modes of transportation. I think there are more mb's on the road now than there ever has been. Me being a proud member.

I look forward to the day where seeing a mb is a normal sight and expected. When that happens, kit quality will go up and things will be better for all of us.

Anyway, not to ramble on... just wanted to thank you for a great post!

I did not mean to offend anyone with my post. If i did i sincerely apologize.It wont happen again

apology accepted!:)

What did you post, again?

we're NOT going back there, again! :p

To srdavo; "when life hands you lemons, go to bluegoatwoods house" Thanks, and we do have a reasonably fun household. Though we don't party as much as we used to. But you ought to check out my father-in-laws house. Old Welshman (grew up there) who is always looking for an excuse for a party. He's aging so these partys are not as common as they used to be in the old days. But still a fun place and a very bad influence on those who want to avoid hang-overs, you can take my word for it.

just lemonade....fresh-squeezed lemonade!! ;)

I look forward to the day where seeing a mb is a normal sight and expected.

me too, brother...me too!!:)

Yes, some interesting post here... This gas issue is complicated -- yes, it helps to make ones seek other alternatives - MB's ect... Almost all other countries pay far more for gas than we do... We - the USA have been getting a deal in regards to oil and gas for a long time -- seems those days are long gone !!! As much as the rise in the cost of gas helps our cause - we in the future will suffer greatly with A MUCH HIGHER COST OF LIVING (due to oil increases) for ALL products and services used --- food, clothing, housing --- oil prices also effect our stock market - thus our retirement accounts - and the list goes on and on and on... Grab on tight and ride that bike --- Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
Back