Though there are risks, I'm happy about rising gas prices.

I'll repeat what a few of us have said for quite sometime now:
Our motoredBikes are the solution, so let the solution BE the revolution!
I'm really enjoying this thread please keep on...

Yup. We ought to temper our optimism with some real worry; energy costs could make things terribly hard on all of us. My big hope is that we'll make the best of this in a reasonably mature way. One other poster (who I should credit. Don't remember who, though) talked about relying more on local products and services. That would be one way of handling it well. Another would be to voluntarily give up the automobile for personal use. That sounds nearly sacreligious coming from a Yankee. But I've resented how our society has become one vast automobile slum for some time now. I've always been a bit out of step with my society on that one.

There are terrible dangers in this. A worst case scenario would include the collapse of our civilization. But I don't expect it to get that bad. We could see hungry days. And we could see a time that we have to hoard everything like our parents and grandparents did in the 1930s. We might even have to give up our cable TV (good riddance) if things get so bad that we can't justify any outlay that doesn't pay for itself.

If we behave like brats, we might bring on the worst. But if we behave like mature men and women who understand that ridiculous consumption brought us to this pass and who wish to order society more sensibly, then we might call $200.00/barrell a good thing one day. Naturally, we here at MBC want to be good examples of what sustainable transportaion can be. Let's show 'em that it's fun to get out and get some fresh air.

Gasoline does not store well. Even with Satbil, 12 to 18 months at the most. It is that storing bit that worries me. You hear of morons putting 20 gallons in their basement or in their closet.
As long as somebody is producing oil, they will be making gasoline as you cant eat the stuff once it is produced.

I just got back from the movies...took my son to see Wall-e. Wow - great message - not your regular Disney flick. My son is 11, he's about to start middle school and is in the gifted program there, studying engineering. As I told him on the way home, it's up to his generation to fix what the past generations have neglected. He is very interested in alternative energy sources, and being green, which is awesome for a kid.

Take your family and friends to see this movie - they hit the nail on the head and it's timely. I don't want to give it away, but I promise every one of you guys who posted on this thread - you'll like it a lot. I sure did.

I came home tonight and had forgotten to pick up milk...my wife TOLD ME - take the bike, save some gas. WOW, how cool is that?

PS. A gallon of Lactaid Milk was $5.99 today. Normally, I just swipe the card, but today I figured I'd pay cash (don't normally carry cash around)....and I was kinda shocked at the price.

so...i was gonna line my closet with kreem & put a petcock where the doorknob was...not a good idea?

anybody?

:p

Last edited:
cool....now all we need are stills in our basements.

Doesn't sound particularly safe. But I'll bet those things are still illegal. How's that for an example of a stupid law infringing on our rights?

still

If we could use Alcohol as fuel, we could store it for long periods and eventually replace gasoline. Also, our simple engines for our bikes will easily convert to alcohol. Also alcohol is better for the engine with no carbon deposits and sludge like gas.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me1.html

The one problem with Alcohol is that it readily absorbs moisture and containers need to be sealed carefully
lots of dragracers use it and have problems if the alky gets old
Roy

Yeah, ethanol absorbs water from the air until it is about 5% water. Which, for ordinary motor fuel purposes, is just fine. Biggest issue with ethanol is the effect it has on common gasketing compounds - it makes them brittle, pretty quickly, by leaching out the more volatile fractions that keep them pliable.

It's easy too make, readily storable, and a fairly good ("if low energy) fuel.

Bluegoatwoods, I like your optimism. It's a lot like mine. Like you said, it's better for the roads, the air, and for small-scale commuters on bicycles, mc's, scooters, and motored bikes.

Somebody in the UK said that gas over there costs an equivalent of 14 bucks a gallon. No doubt our prices will globalize itself to that amount. Did you know that nitro is around 20 bucks a gallon or more? Yeah, that's the stuff they use for rc model airplanes and rc cars & speedboats. Technology's come a long way. The first cars in the U.S. were designed to run on peanut oil. As for gas, I've got some Seafoam and Sta-bil :)

Back