Thoughts on Lifan 4HP 118cc engine?

MBikeRider

Local time
8:07 AM
Hi everybody! I've been lurking around here and motorbicycling.com as well thinking about going back to gas after switching to electric (from gas). The electric bike's gotten too boring with it's use as a school commuter and am looking for a side project bike for weekends.

I've been debating back and forth between 79cc and 212cc predator engines, but then I saw the 118cc engine Lifan was selling and I thought that'd be a good compromise. However, I couldn't find any threads on the 118cc engine.

So what're your guys' thoughts on this engine on a cruiser bike?

Hi everybody! I've been lurking around here and motorbicycling.com as well thinking about going back to gas after switching to electric (from gas). The electric bike's gotten too boring with it's use as a school commuter and am looking for a side project bike for weekends.

I've been debating back and forth between 79cc and 212cc predator engines, but then I saw the 118cc engine Lifan was selling and I thought that'd be a good compromise. However, I couldn't find any threads on the 118cc engine.

So what're your guys' thoughts on this engine on a cruiser bike?
Actually I was once looking for a 99cc predator since I felt that was a good compromise. I didn't know a 118 existed so that might be something I'd look into.

Certainly if they are making it then there must be somebody who is using it. Maybe see if a go cart forum or something has any specific information regarding that motor, as for putting it on a bike obviously you'd need to just follow logical procedure for motorizing a bike. For the adapter plate the engine mount holes may or may not be the same as you'll find for a normal 49 or 79cc type adapter. I figured if I did a 99cc I could just adapt the adapter plate..

I have put my eyeballs on that Lifan engine. Very affordable and looks user friendly. And I think it has a 4 speed tranny.

You are really jumping into another world with that, effectively building a 125cc motorcycle. I think an engine like that would really require a 3D frame. Besides, I really wouldn't trust a bicycle frame and wheels to handle that kind of power and speed.

And you would have to plate it, have a motorcycle endorsement and insurance.

Seems like that would make for a pretty heavy motorized bike. Also it would probably vibrate much more than the smaller 48-53cc 4 stroke motors. I've toyed with the idea of using a 150cc scooter motor on a bicycle but again the weight & vibrations would be too much for it. If the bike you plan to use is aluminum forget about it. Even the smaller engines beat the hell out of aluminum bike frames. If I can I try to get a bike with a steel frame & that's for the small motors. If you're using anything over 100cc's get a motorcycle frame for it. You'd be allot better off with it trust me.

Alright, duly noted and thanks for the input. I'll stick with a 79cc predator to get my fix. It's just that I wanted to be able to climb hills (basically most roads here in SF) at 20-25 and do high 30's on flats and wasn't sure the 79cc was up to the task.

I've thought about that too, the thought of it just sounds so good to me but its a little too much for a bicycle. But man would a 4 speed manual be nice.

Alright, duly noted and thanks for the input. I'll stick with a 79cc predator to get my fix. It's just that I wanted to be able to climb hills (basically most roads here in SF) at 20-25 and do high 30's on flats and wasn't sure the 79cc was up to the task.

You might want to consider a jackshaft shift kit for it if hills are a problem or change the gear ratio of the drive sprocket. I think a larger sprocket means better hill climb but you loose some top speed. A jackshaft shift kit would be the best option if you want good hillclimb & better speed. I also recommend getting an internal shifter hub for the rear wheel since its allot less problematic than traditional derailleur shifters.

Sick Bike Parts makes the best jackshaft shift kit. Not sure if they make a kit that fits the 79cc predator though so you might have to do some customizing to get it to work like getting a long shaft for the 79cc that aligns with the jackshaft pedal chain ring & install an idler for the jackshaft chain if needed.

You might want to consider a jackshaft shift kit for it if hills are a problem or change the gear ratio of the drive sprocket. I think a larger sprocket means better hill climb but you loose some top speed. A jackshaft shift kit would be the best option if you want good hillclimb & better speed. I also recommend getting an internal shifter hub for the rear wheel since its allot less problematic than traditional derailleur shifters.

Sick Bike Parts makes the best jackshaft shift kit. Not sure if they make a kit that fits the 79cc predator though so you might have to do some customizing to get it to work like getting a long shaft for the 79cc that aligns with the jackshaft pedal chain ring & install an idler for the jackshaft chain if needed.
Not sure about the internal shifter hub, ive heard of them getting chewed up and stripped out with jack shaft kits on them. Never tried myself though, just a word of caution.

Back