Tires Thoughts on Tire Pressure

With bicycles I just pump till it feels good. Not to hard, because it not comfortable, but not to soft so I loose topspeed.

I'm running slime tubes in mine and so I run a lower pressure to prevent the tube from exploding.. Around 30psi front and rear. Rides really nice.

With bicycles I just pump till it feels good. Not to hard, because it not comfortable, but not to soft so I loose topspeed.

....resist screwing up your own topic...resist...resist...fight it.....nope, can't do it...

That's what she said !

Marktur: I'm running 20-25 MPH, but slow down for the turns. ALL the major city streets in the Phoenix area are on a 1 mile grid, north/south, or east/west. Only in the developments do you have curved streets. Only if you get into the hills or mountains the street plans aren't so rigid.

I currently have a slimed tub in the front, and a thorn resistant tube in the back. When the temps get over 110, I tend not to ride too much, else you feel like a big chunk o'jerky when you get there! If I do have to rode when it gets real hot, I drop about 5 psi out of the tires.

i ride those standard smooth tread whitewalls. i dont know the brand. i always keep them between 40 and 50 PSI, i only get flats when i use standard tubes.

Target sells 26x2.2ish tubes with sealant inside that fixes holes as they happen. they are made by Schwinn and they have never failed me, the only time they have not kept air is when it was slashed. i ran a pair on my motorbike for two years, the engine failed before the tubes.

when you get a puncture, the air pressure drops, but once the sealant seals the hole no more air escapes, and you can fill it back to regular PSI, rotating the tire or riding on it helps seal it quicker as well, gets the fluid sloshing

If you have SLIME you should decrease your pressure when your motoring on your bicycle. From what I have experienced,slime will generate excessive heat and will BLOW that tube to NOTHING.
Last year riding MOOP my happy time I was doing a 70 miler when at about 60 miles of mostly continuous 15 mph riding and it was like 85 degrees out my tire went POOF...no. It went BANG!!
Upon checking my tire my tube was in shreds. I had it inflated to 40 psi.
I blame the slime,man. But slime is your friend. I replaced my front stock tube on cronus with a slime tube in my tool pouch that I know for a fact has a hole from it being pinched. And guess what. It's still there.
I think if you don't do the slime maybe you can get by with the higher pressures. But remember that higher pressures benefit the PEDAL biker for this gives the tire less rolling resistance. Now I suppose you can get better mileage with less resistance by giving your tires some pressure,but with your engine off,high pressure or not it's pretty much a dog to pedal (Cronus not so much actually,but that's another topic).
And then there's that other theory that with lower pressures your tire will wear down from all the flexing because your weight brought that rear tire lower. But it hasn't happened to me yet.
I run 30 psi. It's measured on my Bell foot pump so I would only guess that's it's fairly accurate. I do know that 30 psi inflates my fat cruiser tire enough that when I squeeze the sides I can only squeeze about 1 or 2 millimeters. It also has some shock absorption.
My front tube has been replaced recently but my rear slime tube was replaced before Cronus got the Titan. And with todays riding it has about 650 miles on it.
It works for me. I know the last time I had more pressure.
I simply don't want another BOOM happening,but I'm very prepared if and when it happens again.
Btw,those frame pumps are malarky. I got a foot pump and it fits in my tool pouch.
And for reference,back when I busted tires for a living,our major law when it came to passenger car tire pressures was 32 psi.
So 30 psi is quite a bit when you look at it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running a DE scrubber I keep them at max. 70 psi on a 700 tire. And I aint no little feller.
The tires seem to wear less and ride comfort is not too bad. I run 20-25 MPH with occasional blast over 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...I'm feeling confident enough to feel more confident in my setup...rode home from work today doing 23mph...couple of blasts to 26-27....motor had a lot more to give, too.

If I kept the bike, I'd lower the gearing a bit, because 15mph is a rough ride on mine...maybe because I still have only about 80 miles on it, but the low-end to mid range seems really rich and bogged down. Once I'm doing about 17-18 it gets on the pipe, then I have to back off.

Since there's no mixture adjustment available, lower gearing will let the motor run a bit faster, but still allow me to ride at 25 or less. Thoughts?

PS. Now that it's sold, I'm missing it :( But I'll make a nicer bike this time.

Tires should be kept inflated in the range recommended on the tires. Most tires are tested and fail more above and below recommended air pressures. I have generally kept tires inflated to the maximum because I rode with my own horsepower, make that a little less than 1/2 a horse power. You will produce more heat at lower air pressure because you have more resistance which creates heat and work. Too low a pressure also allows the tire to slip under hard braking and may cut the stem.

In racing we would use sew up tires and over inflate at times to lessen rolling resistance. This is not a good idea to keep from having flats but will allow you to go faster. 180 PSI is the max I have pumped 1" sew ups to. That is probably not too relevant to motorized bikes unless you have some real good suspension.

I have ridden well over 100,000 bicycle miles since 1973. I have had a lot of flat tires. I figure that you spend as much on rubber for a bicycle as for a car or truck and maybe more. Tires are cheaper but you only get 1000 to 2500 miles per tire. Slime is the best product I have found to keep me riding and not patching. Slime works better on fat tires than skinny ones, but I have done ok with it in 27" X 1 3/8" or 700CM X 35MM tires.

I have found several odd causes for flats that may escape attention. Thorns that cause flats need to be removed or they will re-puncture a tube. Rim strips need to be in good shape and cover spoke nipples and all rim edges need to be smooth. Any edges or sharp pokey areas will sooner or later wear thru a tube. One last thought is to use a pump with a gage built in so it is easy to tell the psi.

Last edited:
Back