three questions to get me confidently on the road

neilhm

Local time
4:52 PM
Hello,
Thank you for all the awesome help so far. I am very close to using my bike to get to work, I'm really looking forward to it, and thank you guys for the awesome help so far.
I put 1.5" tires on my bike after discovering my 2" Schalbes were rubbing badly against the chainstays. Now my pedal slightly clanks against the muffler when it didn't do that before. Could changing the tire have created that problem? I'm thinking of putting the 2" tire back on the front wheel, could that introduce any problems?

I've been reading the troubles, trials, and horror stories that the chain tensioner can introduce. I've also been reading about chain maintenance. Do I need different oil/lube for the 415 chain than I do for the regular bike chain? I'm really not sure what to put on either. I read here that WD40 is a poor lubricant. I have multi-purpose lithium grease laying around, is that more along the lines of what I'm looking for? Thanks all, I appreciate it.

Bicycle chain oil is very affordable and you can get it at department stores. Lately on my chains I've been using a half/half mixture of 10-30 synthetic motor oil and lighter fluid. Keeps the chains lubed and clean. I generally put it on my chains once a week.

Here's another thing I like to share with new members. From a distance you look like a regular bicycle. Vehicles will pull out in front of you not realizing how fast you're going. Inside a closed compartment vehicle with the windows up and a radio on they may not be able to hear you either.

Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first. Be sure to watch all 3 videos.

I've also been reading about chain maintenance. Do I need different oil/lube for the 415 chain than I do for the regular bike chain? I'm really not sure what to put on either. I read here that WD40 is a poor lubricant. I have multi-purpose lithium grease laying around, is that more along the lines of what I'm looking for?
Re. CHAIN LUBE......I soak mine in a bucket of WD40 for a day just for cleaning purposes when needed, I then wipe it all down and then soak it in synthetic motor oil to fully saturate it for a few hours, wipe down the excess oil and put it on...In between clean and soak cycles I have a plastic oil container with a small nozzle and just relube periodically with that.

Do not use lithium or any other kind of grease on the chain, it will only attract and cling to sand and grit etc. that will wear out your chain from the abrasives plus that grease cannot get into the areas of the chain that actually needs to be lubricated to be pliable.

Having a wider tire in the front than in the rear might make the bike handle rather weirdly, the other way around would be more normal, but your model won't accept that, as you say.
Pedal contacting muffler after tire change sounds to me like something may have come loose while changing tires, check exhaust bolts, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals.
If all is tight and changing a tire causes a change in frame geometry you must be riding a Chinese aluminum bike from FEMA-Mart (formerly Walmart).....
Lithium grease is more of an internal lubricant, mostly for plastic parts.

Back