Throttle and Chain attachment

My main concern with these throttles is that the plastic tab is litteraly, other than light friction of the plastic housing, holding your hand to the right side of your handlebars! If that tab decides to pop you could end up yanking the throttle assembly off the bars which means you are suddenly steering with one hand and a clutch..

I don't like the idea of that at all. I use metal tabbed plastic, if it doesn't have it I remove the tab, drill a very small hole that I can screw an allen head m2 into, drill about a 4mm hole into the bars and feel a bit more trusting about the hardware.

The metal housings I feel very secure with, I like to put shims of 1200 grit 3M grippy back sandpaper. The grip back sticks well to clean bars and the sandpaper bites into the metal/plastic housings. I also sometimes have a throttle grip that is too slippery and comes off or rotates too easily on those nylon twist barrels, I take an inch or so wide strip long enough to fold over the plastic barrel with the sandpaper side in, then push the grip on top of that. A slightly different way is to take a wider strip and fold it hotdog style back to back, so you have sandpaper on both sides, fold that over and the press the grip on, nothing sturdier.

Removal is rather easy, probably because there is already an air gap, when you grip these things the sandpaper tends to stay bit into the surfaces, so it doesn't yank off, on these just get your fingers in at the very end of the grip closest to the center of the bars and pull it straight back off, as the grip gets compressed the ID expands a little and it just let's go.

I had a friend I gave one of these throttles to prepped this way. He needed my help getting it off even after trying the screwdriver method because he didn't know the trick, when I had him hold the throttle assembly and I gripped the grip shoulder just right and it slipped off so easily it was rather hilarious.

Anyway that's my fun experience with that stuff, I beef it up where necessary, I can't come to trust certain aspects of these handlebar components without addressing them first.

My main concern with these throttles is that the plastic tab is litteraly, other than light friction of the plastic housing, holding your hand to the right side of your handlebars!
If that tab decides to pop you could end up yanking the throttle assembly off the bars which means you are suddenly steering with one hand and a clutch..
Hehe, nice doom and gloom outlook ;-}

I drill a throttle nub hole every time.
Grease it up.
And then change the grips.

Do you have ape hangers or something stretching you throttle cable?
Regardless there are few vendors that will sell you a longer cable.

Hehe, nice doom and gloom outlook ;-}

I drill a throttle nub hole every time.
Grease it up.
And then change the grips.

Do you have ape hangers or something stretching you throttle cable?
Regardless there are few vendors that will sell you a longer cable.
What are you asking about? I didn't mention my cables being short, I've not had any be too short though that's a very simple fix with a length of brake cable shield and a shifter cable that I can solder another nub onto.

Once again we get a half informed response.
I'd guess you didn't drill a hole in your handlebars for the pin stay and just broke the plastic nub in the throttle off right?

That's what keeps your throttle from spinning on the handlebars.

You can drill a hole through the top of the throttle where the nub was down and through the handle bar, then screw in a bolt.

As for throttle cable slack there are screw adjustments on each end of the cable.
Some have a steel pin, some plastic, some have no pin at all. If you listen to what he says you will know what he is saying.

Back