Throttle Issue - High speed from start and throttle does nothing.

scottmtn

Local time
5:07 PM
I have currently just done my first bike about 2 days ago but I am having an issue with the throttle grip and the bike is instantly wanting to always hit max speed while the throttle does absolutely nothing. (I pretty much have to hit the clutch -> killswitch -> Brakes in order to stop because of this.)... This is far too dangerous for me to ride when I just need to get to work.

Any idea on why this is happening? The cable is showing tension when the throttle is rotated towards me, so it is pulling from the carburetor.

I bought this kit off amazon and then sell was seeutek if that helps.

Sounds like your throttle cable isnt adjusted or connected properly or you have an air leak causing the extremely high idle.

You might have a really bad air leak in your intake. This will cause the motor to rev uncontrollably and get stupidly hot really quickly. DO NOT RUN YOUR MOTOR FOR MORE THAN A FEW MOMENTS WHEN ITS DOING THIS, it's running EXTREMELY lean and WILL destroy the engine after a short while.

People most commonly have issues where the carb clamps onto the intake manifold. You need to ensure it is fully seated and the clamp is very tight. In a pinch, you can use a small piece of electrical tape to wrap the end of the intake and fold a little over the lip to create a gasket which will help seal the carb.

Also make sure your intake bolts are good and tight as well. If you have a propane torch, carb cleaner, or some brake cleaner you can spray around the intake (avoiding the air filter area) with these items (with the torch have the valve open but the flame extinguished) to find intake leaks.
With the cleaners the engine will rev up, the propane tends to make the revs drop.

Obviously you'll have to take care of the really bad leak first and you may find after ensuring the carb is seated that you have no more leaks.

You could have the slide in the carb 180° out, make sure the alignment pin in the neck of the carb is aligned with the slot in the barrel you put the cable in.

Last edited:
Back