Throttle Issues

AndrewM

Local time
5:57 AM
Nice forum you guys got going here... I just bought a 2 cruiser bike with a 2 stroke engine. The previous owner told me it needed a new throttle cable, but I figured I might give it a shot at fixing it. I know very little about combustion engines, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot.
bike1.jpeg

So I took the throttle to carb connection off to make sure it was in decent condition
throttle_end.jpeg
All looked okay to me, when I use the handle throttle (twist kind) the spring condenses. I reattached the connection to the carb, bike will fire up but no revving or any action. I then took the air filter off and looked through while twisting the throttle to see if the pin moved at all, nothing. I guess this is the carb slide...

Here's the question, do I need to order a new throttle kit, it looks like it is set up right, but when connected I don't have it tightened all the to the carb, it tight but I can still see several rows of grooves. Do I need to tighten with a wrench? The pin doesn't move at all, but like I said when I have it removed the spring is condensing...

Help me out here folks, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Andrew you will get more responses if you introduce yourself first in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. It is a courtesy and a rule here.
And by the way Welcome to MBc.

My first thought would be that the slide is getting caught on the guide pin. If you look down the opening the slide goes in, there is a little pin. There is a corresponding groove in the slide. Make sure these line up.

Not sure.....

This is where I would look right? I don't see any groves.
throttle-trouble.jpeg.

There appears to be a small bump on the right side, no bigger than a 2 pin heads, should I look for the grove on the sides or on the bottom?

Last edited:
He's talking about the copper barrel needs to line up with that small nub inside of your photos carb body. Dude, you need to tip your bike on its side and spray it out with some carb cleaner Or take it off and give it a cleanin. Looks like a lot of junk in there.:) OOps Abeagle just said that a minute before me.

Last edited:
Yeah, it totally needs to get a thorough cleaning. I just wanted to ride around on it:D I'll give it a good carb cleaning tomorrow and line up the nubs. I want to right now but it's late and dark. I'll give an update tomorrow.

Thanks much for all the advise this far...

Andrew seeing that's it's a used purchase things may have gotten abused in your carb. For example someone may have gotten too overly excited on the throttle and thought the more force on that throttle the faster it will go &^%$#*(&...*&^%$#*@.
25 bucks will get you a brand new carb at the DAX site. You may get by with the throttle cable. From the pic it doesn't look damaged.
Try the carb cleaning first. I know 25 bucks is a lot of money for some of us. It definitely is for me.

hi; these little carbs are delicate, for sure you must tighten screws and bolts but be easy or you can warp the carb body. you might find that a thumb throttle works fine one thing is you cant put as much torque on the cable like you can with a twister. what kind of engine and carb, and bike kit? gas it stude13

Hey guys, here's an update... I fixed the throttle cable issue, aligned it up perfectly and can see the carb slide pin move up and down, like it should. I also cleaned with carb cleaner with the air filter removed.

The bike starts off of pedal power and when i twist the throttle I can hear the engine try to rev, but that's it. I don't hear a 'put-put' or smell exhaust. Short of taking off the entire carb and cleaning, what might be the problem? The magneto seems to connected fine, as are the wires going to the little kill switch(?) box.

I've tried operating in the on and off and half way possition (carb) and no change.

The sparkplug looks clean and has a good connection..

The bike itself is a 2-stroke 49cc engine. Not sure about any other specs, sorry.

Thanks guys!

Back