Throttle Modification/Replacement

D

Demosthenese

Hey all,

One of the first things i did when i got my mtb was to grab the dual brake leaver. My setup (of which i have no pics, sry) is the brake leaver on the left, with the clutch under it so i can pull both together, since i let the engine die at lights instead of idling. On the right, i have the killswitch in the plastic mount that comes with the plastic twist throttle. The twistgrip throttle, however, is not on there. My bike has multiple gears, and so it has trigger shifters intergrated with a brake leaver (standard shimano ones, as on most mountain bikes). Since i have the dual pull leaver, the brake on the right hand side is not used. I wired my throttle cable into the brake leaver, which was literally a perfect fit, and now i have a throttle instead of a brake. It is WAY easier on the wrist then holding the twist throttle at full for hours, and the mechanism is certainly superior to the bendable plastic throttle. I love it.

Anyone else modified their throttle? How, with what, etc.?

on my minibike, until my throttle was shipped to my house, i cut a brake lever in 1.2 and mounted it facing me rather than the road, and so i had a quad or snomobile stlye throttle. i favor the throttle though cause i get less cramps in my fingers. but that would be good for locking the throttle in place. so ya can stretch and not slow down....

that's sick, if you needed to keep both brake leavers, turning it around is an ideal solution.

on my minibike, until my throttle was shipped to my house, i cut a brake lever in 1.2 and mounted it facing me rather than the road, and so i had a quad or snomobile stlye throttle.
Wow... I was gonna start a new thread to see if anyone had put a 4-wheeler throttle on their bike. I couldn\'t see myself being too thrilled about having a twist-grip throttle...

I\'d prefer a real 4-wheeler throttle if it would work and someone has seen it done before, but at least I know it\'s possible to get rid of the twisty throttle.

Ya, I saw that vid a while back. Totally forgot about that part, tho.

I would still rather have a real 4-wheeler throttle, tho. Supposedly my friend has a spare, I wonder if fitting would be the same. I am pretty sure some companies make throttles with weird fittings so that you have to buy their cable. Maybe it is possible for some, tho... dunno

I've seen somebody on this forum use the cheapie style lever shifters turned upside down for a thumb throttle too, looked better than using a break lever. Personally I think I'm really going to enjoy the 2-3 finger lever throttle supplied with my staton kit. The only problem I can imagine with this kind of throttle is it's great for running wide open but may not be the best for cruising at lower speeds.

I like the small lever that comes with the Staton kits too. I thought about using it on the trike, but it works so well on the Trek. I left it there, and use a brake lever on the trike.

I've seen somebody on this forum use the cheapie style lever shifters turned upside down for a thumb throttle too, looked better than using a break lever.
Well... I wanted to do this really bad. I went to my bicycle shop and found an all-in-one ratcheting shifter & brake lever for a typical mountain bike. I disabled the ratcheting part of the shifter so that the thumb lever would twist all the way back & then spring back to the front. Once I put the cable inside, I could tell the cable only moves MAYBE 1/4". So I enabled the ratcheting part, hoping I could have cruise control (even tho it's prolly not the safest idea), but the throttle cable has 2 fittings on its ends, a brake lever fitting & a fitting for the carb that's smaller than the shifter cable fitting. So in order to use the shifter as my throttle lever I'd need to dremel the fitting to fit inside the shifter. I'd also need to pull the cable out from the housing to slide it thru the shifter, but this is impossible because of the fitting on the carb's end. Seems like a local small engine repair shop would be able to put another fitting on for me, but I dunno for sure.

How did this guy do this shifter level throttle?? His setup must have been different from mine. I guess I'll have to stick with the brake lever cut in half idea. =^((

(never having a thumb shifter) all i can say is everything varys. if you go to wallmart right now, the shifter cables have bal things, not cylnders on the end. mabey thats it?? dunno.

Back