Carby throttle problem

azbill

Local time
5:33 AM
I can't seem to keep my new engine running unless I keep pushing tickle button on carb . does anyone have an cause and fix ? my carb is turned slightly to to right for cabling reasons (stright and cable binds)

What exactly do you mean "turned"? The float shouldn't bind because you lean the bike into turns...Have you checked your intake gasket yet? Does it always need the "tickler" or just until it's warmed up?
Picture of carb set-up?

it is only turned a few degrees maybe 10-15
took it for a approx 5 mile ride and it would keep dying unless I hit the tickle spot...must be a female carb haha :D
stock dax carb

How long does it have to run before it needs "tickled"? A few seconds, 15-20 seconds?

Choked, or is there a tickler on the carb too?

if the carb itself is tilted, then float movement and/or position can surely be affected. tilted to the right will make the needle "think" the bowl is full, as far as i can determine. you might be able to bend the float/needle bracket to account for the tilt, tho.

seems like 20-3- secs

I have to do it pretty frequently
seems like 20-30 secs or so definitely less than 1 min
am going to adjust engine in mount and try to straighten out carb hope it helps :)

thanks for the input

augidog said:
if the carb itself is tilted, then float movement and/or position can surely be affected. tilted to the right will make the needle "think" the bowl is full, as far as i can determine. you might be able to bend the float/needle bracket to account for the tilt, tho.

I agree, you should be able to adjust the float, but it would be best to adjust the carb so it's straight, or straighter.

I meant that the float wouldn't bind from being tipped. I can see where it would cause the float level to be altered and starve the engine in short order for fuel, especially if the throttle is opened up more than just a bit.

Bikeguy Joe said:
I agree, you should be able to adjust the float, but it would be best to adjust the carb so it's straight, or straighter.

and i agree with bikeguy'...it would be a good idea to offset the intake if you can't find another cabling solution.

Duane at Dax told me to disassemble the carb and clean it
I hate waiting for something just for it not to work
kinda pis@#d off about that as carb is brand new so I hope thats all it is or I have to send for warranty replacement (another 2 weeks :( )

Back