Throttle Question

k_pitman

Local time
5:28 PM
Hey everyone, just a quick question about my throttle. Does everyone else's throttle take a while to kick in when twisted to it's max? Whenever I twist my throttle back to really gas it, it takes a few seconds for it to start to gain speed and I was just wondering if this is normal. It doesn't bother me, just curious.

3rd test ride completed

Here is my $.01, no.

I get an imediate grunt from throttle response and mild rear tire response at 10-15 mph. I hope your clutch is not slipping? High rpms with no retire response. Keep me posted on what you find out. How many miles do you have? Me=3 :eek:

thanx but after riding a bit more it tended to become a lot more responsive. I guess I'm still beaking the motor in. Now it responds as soon as I start to twist. I've been breaking it in pretty good today too. I've had it riding for about 3 days now and i've put about 35 miles on it already. Is that what u were asking? lol I do have a question tho, can u idle your bike when standing still? I wanna see if I can have my bike at a standstill and rev the engine ya know? Whenever i try to pull the clutch back and stop the bike all i get is a BURST of high revs coming from my engine, even when I'm really close to stopping. Can u rev your engine while stopped?

thanx but after riding a bit more it tended to become a lot more responsive. I guess I'm still beaking the motor in. Now it responds as soon as I start to twist. I've been breaking it in pretty good today too. I've had it riding for about 3 days now and i've put about 35 miles on it already. Is that what u were asking? lol I do have a question tho, can u idle your bike when standing still? I wanna see if I can have my bike at a standstill and rev the engine ya know? Whenever i try to pull the clutch back and stop the bike all i get is a BURST of high revs coming from my engine, even when I'm really close to stopping. Can u rev your engine while stopped?

Sounds like you may have an intake leak. Check your plug to make sure your not running lean. LEAN=BADDDDD!!!!!!!

I'm gonna sound like a gigantic noob but what does "lean" mean? does that mean lean of the Carb or what? :p

the yin and yang of the happy time.

lean is fuel starved=yin
rich is air starved=yang

hope that helps.

now find the razor's edge grasshoppa

That does help. Thanx oh wise masta. haha. So ur thinkin I may be having to much air mixing with my fuel correct? By checking the plug do u mean the 4 holed black thing on the carb?

the spark plug is the best way we have of assessing the combustion quality of the fueloil/air mixture. operation quality is also important. If you are reving at standstill you may have an air leak-commonly caused at the carb/intake manifold connection (a flat washer against the inside the carb is a great solution.

Is your idle screw (on the left side of the carb) screwed all the way in? Unscrewing it allows the throttle slide go down which inserts the needle valve into the jet opening.

too much air means you are running lean which causes the motor to run too hot-looking at the plug is good way to confirm that.

if you can't kill the engine with the choke lever in the up position you may have an air leak.

the spark plug is the best way we have of assessing the combustion quality of the fueloil/air mixture. operation quality is also important. If you are reving at standstill you may have an air leak-commonly caused at the carb/intake manifold connection (a flat washer against the inside the carb is a great solution.

Is your idle screw (on the left side of the carb) screwed all the way in? Unscrewing it allows the throttle slide go down which inserts the needle valve into the jet opening.

too much air means you are running lean which causes the motor to run too hot-looking at the plug is good way to confirm that.

if you can't kill the engine with the choke lever in the up position you may have an air leak.

So I was using the cable adjustment on top of the carb for idle adjusment. I now know that the screws controls throttle needle height...And no air jet?

that barrel adjuster on top is to remove the slack in the cable and housing-there is another at the other end by the throttle-get that set before you adjust the idle adjusting screw. correct, there is no air jet. you are mostly adjusting the amount of fuel mixture for the relatively constant amount of air (stock set up anyway).

Back