Throttle Slop:

Hal the Elder

Local time
4:33 PM
The twist-grip throttle on my NE5 has 45 degrees of free rotation before it begins to pull the throttle cable.

How do I adjust this out?

Thanks...
HAL

hi Hal

lossen the inside cable at the carb -- should be a set screw holding it

pull slack out and re-tighten...

if this is not your type of setup
either at carb or on twist throttle -- is there an adjustment on cable housing - twist type
there should be some kind of adjustment on one end or the other of cable
take a good look at both ends

have fun as you ride that thing

Last edited:
Throttle cable adjustments

Hi Hal, if you look at the throttle cable right next to the throttle handle isn't there a 90 degree "noodle" with an adjustment nut on it?

Aditionally if you look at the top of the carb, isn't the brass reciever for the cable threaded into the carb?

Try those?

Mike

Pleasant Surprise!

MIKE:

When I unscrewed the "salt-shaker" lid of my carburetor, a spring leaped out like a Jack-in-the-Box!

I couldn't stuff it back in because it was too close to a frame tube, so I unbolted the whole carburetor from the engine so I would have room to work.

When I removed the carb, I was shocked to see how small that restriction was in the spacer plate, so I thought that as long as I have the carb off the bike, I'd open it up! (shhhh!)

I had a rotary ball file of the exact diameter of the carb venturi (3/4"), so using the small restrictor hole as a pilot, I slipped right through with a perfectly round hole matching the carb venturi and the engine's intake port!

(I like that cylindrical slide inside the carb for the throttle valve...my big Suzuki Savage had a carb like that.)

When I re-attached the carburetor and fired up the machine, the throttle response was dramatically different! Where I was struggling to reach 20 MPH, the same trouble now gives me 32 MPH! Also, the @#$%#$& CLUTCH even seems to be slipping less, giving me speeds that increase with RPM instead of that Dynaflow WAAAAHHHH!

Like, what's HAPPENING?

HAL

Last edited:
Hi Hal, You need to stop "testing" you motor, and put the 9.5 MM restrictor plate back right away because you don't want to void your warranty. Happy to read the clutch is working better now.

Have fun,
Quenton

Hey Quenton:

MR.Q:

That 9.5mm restrictor plate has been re-installed.

(Except it's now a 19mm "non-restrictor" plate)

It's got TWICE the diameter of the restrictor, giving FOUR TIMES the cross-sectional area, for FOUR TIMES the air flow!

IT STAYS!

If Whizzer wants to void my warranty, let 'em! It's only for 90 days anyway, and judging from the quality of the product, I can't see how they could afford a longer warranty!

HAL

Last edited:
Quenton...i'm Beginning To Have Fun!

I put 6.4 neighborhood miles on Oscar today, with his "free-breathing" induction system!

Maybe 10 miles tomorrow!

I'll always turn to you for help AND PARTS, Quenton!

HAL

Throttle Slop Cured!

HELLO...

After removing the carburetor from my bike and re-installing it after my restrictor mod, now there is very little throttle slop and I'm satisfied!

I didn't make any adjustments on either end of the cable, but the problem is cured, and I don't know how it happened!

HAL

HELLO...

After removing the carburetor from my bike and re-installing it after my restrictor mod, now there is very little throttle slop and I'm satisfied!

I didn't make any adjustments on either end of the cable, but the problem is cured, and I don't know how it happened!

HAL

It's just one of those mysterious, unexplainable Whizzer things...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back