Tightening Belts......again

Golddustpeak

Local time
6:31 PM
OK I know this has been discussed a million times.

BUT after about 50 miles on my new whizzer I lost the bottom nut on the engine allowing the belts to start slipping.

I rechecked http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7559&highlight=belt+adjustment and adjusted according to what I thought was correct. I blue locktited the stud and installed a new locking nut.

About 2 miles into a test ride slipping is noticed, followed by the famous occasional screechy noise.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there an easy way to tell which belt or if it's the clutch that's the culprit?

2. Looking at this picture, what dose each numbered fastener allow adjustment of?

3. How does the bottom fastener fit into the equation?

4. And lastly what EXACTLY is the proper tension and how is it determined?

tnx

I'll try to help.
1. In my experiences 8 out of 10 times it is the primary belt that is the culprit.
2. what picture?
Many people have had to change the original stock belts because the original belts have a tendency to stretch. The first thing I did was to get new Gates belts and I have not had any problems since the change.
3. All the mounting bolts insure the engine will not shift and cause loose belts.
4. The gauge I use for this question is if it doesn't slip anymore then it is set correctly. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but that's the way I do it.
Good luck

Jim

Many people have had to change the original stock belts because the original belts have a tendency to stretch. The first thing I did was to get new Gates belts and I have not had any problems since the change.

To start, I replaced both belts with the gates belts.

4. The gauge I use for this question is if it doesn't slip anymore then it is set correctly. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but that's the way I do it.

So are you saying don't put the cover on and just keep stretching things until no slipping?

3 bolts

Hello Golddustpeak, you do not say whether your Whizzer is Manual or Automatic. One of my customers ran an Auto 6,000 miles on the orig Taiwan belts, and on the other hand my Orig rear belt flipped over in the sheaves out of the crate, and was warren teed, and the front belt lasted about 50 miles.

I currently have a Kelly Springfield on the rear, and who could remember what on the front, manual NE5's are kinda hard on front belts in my experience.

Bolt #1 is the attachment bolt for the Pivoting adjuster

Bolt #2 is the adjustment bolt on the pivoting adjuster

Bolt #3 is the pivot bolt for the clutch arm.

Mike

Back